Penn Foster Career School

acbunker

Does anyone know anything about their AutoCAD courses?

They have AutoCAD® Essentials Certificate Program and

Drafting with AutoCAD® Career Diploma

Are they good? Which one would be better?

Thanks!

The AutoCad programs are both good, but the career diploma program is much more comprehensive, starting with manual/board drafting and building to AutoCad/computer drafting. If you have no experience with the basics of drafting, you should take the career diploma program. If you understand the fundamentals of drafting, you should consider the certificate version of the program.

Hope this information helps!

Does anyone know anything about their AutoCAD courses?

They have AutoCAD® Essentials Certificate Program and

Drafting with AutoCAD® Career Diploma

Are they good? Which one would be better?

Thanks!

The AutoCad programs are both good, but the career diploma program is much more comprehensive, starting with manual/board drafting and building to AutoCad/computer drafting. If you have no experience with the basics of drafting, you should take the career diploma program. If you understand the fundamentals of drafting, you should consider the certificate version of the program.

Hope this information helps!

http://pennfoster.edu/autocad/index.html

Above is a link to the program I took at Penn Foster.

I went for the career diploma and like mentioned above, they go through everything, even though I had taken manual drafting in high school for 3 years, it was a nice refresher and helps you understand the profession.

I highly suggest this program if you want to learn from the ground up.

I did it and I'm very happy with it.

• 6 years later...

I am almost done with this program. I have corrected the school on so many exams I have literally lost count. I do not recommend this course. . . unless you have a lot of time, like puzzles, and limited funds for school. Other than that, I guess it's OK.

The second post in this thread should be taken with a grain of salt. . . they are the Penn Foster marketing manager, not the person that I would ask about the quality of their programs.

In the course of assisting students of this program with their projects I have found the instructions to be poorly written and plagued with errors. I have sent numerous emails to the school pointing out some of these errors and it was only recently that P-F has finally decided to address some of them. Many students complain that their instructors do not get back to them in a timely manner and getting help can be problematic. I am also concerned that many features of AutoCAD introduced over the past several years are not covered in the P-F AutoCAD course and it is my opinion that is a disservice to the student.

• 4 months later...

1. Which of the following is not determined by settings in the Drawing Units dialog box?

A.Unit display format

B.Angle base

C.Filename

D.Unit display precision

2. Where should you look on the AutoCAD screen to find the application status bar?

A.At the bottom of the screen

B.On the right edge of the screen

C.On the left edge of screen

D.At the top of the screen

3. In AutoCAD, one way to draw a/an _______ is to identify a center point and a radius.

A.arc

B.ellipse

C.circle

D.polyline

4. Many commonly used commands in AutoCAD have shortcut aliases that consist of one- or two-letter abbreviations. For example, if you type the letter E followed by , this is the command for

A.EXTEND.

B.ERASE.

C.EDIT.

D.ESCAPE.

5. Imagine that you're going to create a simple drawing, and you need to open a new drawing template. When prompted by the Select template dialog box, what should you type into the File name box?

A.acad.dwt

B.acad.drg

C.acad.new

D.acad2D

6. You can press the key in AutoCAD to turn on the

A.Snap Mode.

B.Ortho Mode.

C.Polar Tracking.

D.Grid Display.

7. AutoCAD is specifically designed to allow the user to remain focused on the computer screen, and spend limited time looking away from the screen. This software design concept is known as _______ design.

A.heads-up

B.moving

C.transparent

D.object

8. When you're inputting coordinates at the on-screen prompt, which one of the following statements is correct?

A.Absolute coordinates are specified by typing the @ prefix.

B.Absolute coordinates are specified by typing the # prefix.

C.Relative coordinates are specified by typing coordinates with no prefix.

D.Relative coordinates are specified by typing the # prefix.

9. After executing the ZOOM command, the following information appears in the command line:

[All/Center/Dynamic/Extents/Previous/Scale/Window/Object]

If you press on your keyboard in response to this prompt, which of the following ZOOM options will be activated?

A.Scale

B.All

C.real time

D.Extents

10. When you're setting the units using the Drawing Units dialog box, the default Length Type is

_______, and the default Angle Type is _______.

A.Decimal; Decimal Degrees

B.Architectural; Decimal Degrees

C.Decimal; Deg/Min/Sec

D.Architectural; Deg/Min/Sec

11. When drawing a horizontal line that's 15 decimal units long to the right, the correct polar coordinate display should read

A.15.0000

B.15.0000

C.0.0000

D.15.0000

12. Which of the following statements about the LINE command is correct?

A.The LINE command terminates with each response.

B.TheLINE command automatically repeats, using the endpoint of the previous line as the starting

C.The LINE command starts each new line at the point (0, 0, 0).

D.The LINE command can be used to construct ovals.

13. A useful way to get more information quickly about an icon that represents an AutoCAD command is to

A.select the icon.

B.identify the keyboard shortcut for the command.

C.hover the curser over the icon momentarily without selecting it.

D.select the icon and scroll through drop down menus.

14. Which of the following options allows you to connect the last in a continuous series of lines back to the starting point of the series?

A.Finish

B.Repeat

C.Line

D.Close

15. The default paper size and grid line increments for an acad.dwt drawing template is

A.24 inches × 36 inches, and 0.5000 spacing.

B.12 inches × 9 inches, and 0.5000 spacing.

C.11 inches × 17 inches, and 1.0000 spacing.

D.8 1/2 inches × 11 inches, and 1.0000 spacing.

16. Which of the following statements about AutoCAD help features is correct?

A.The Search feature can be accessed only through online help.

B.The Search feature can be accessed only through your own local software.

C.The Search feature doesn't exist on the AutoCAD Help screen.

D.The Search feature is available both online and on local software Help screens.

17. AutoCAD uses the Cartesian coordinate system to identify points in the drawing area. In AutoCAD, a point is therefore identified by _______ by a comma.

A.two numbers separated

B.an apostrophe followed

C.two letters separated

D.two symbols separated

18. Using Dynamic Input and decimal units, imagine that you've drawn a jagged line that ends at the absolute coordinates (5, 8). To draw a line back to the XY origin using absolute coordinates, you should type _______ at the Specify next point: prompt.

A.#−5,−8

B.#0,0

C.0,0

D.−5, −8

19. The rollover highlighting feature of AutoCAD allows you to

A.copy geometry by rolling the pickbox over the item.

B.erase geometry by rolling the pickbox over the item.

C.visually identify geometry on the screen when the pickbox passes over it.

D.move geometry by rolling the pickbox over the item.

20. Which of the following would not appear on the AutoCAD screen immediately after a drawing has been opened?

A.Toolbar buttons

B.Radio buttons

C.The ribbon

D.The menu bar

Let's see your answers first. Most of us will not do a student's homework for them; we will however assist/guide a student. Example: Question 1 - invoke the UNITS command. Look at what appears on your screen next. The answer is literally right before your eyes.

The majority of the questions can be answered by looking in your AutoCAD Help file or simply by opening AutoCAD and accessing some of its features.

echoing ReMark's message, most of us will not your homework for you but leaving that aside, a few minutes spent on your formatting to make it easier to read may encourage one of the others to join in.

Question 2 - With AutoCAD open press the F1 key. In the Search field type "Application Status Bar" then click on the search (magnifying glass) icon. The first topic to be displayed should be "About the Status Bar."

Question 3 - Look at the four choices. Two of them can be eliminated immediately. Now you have a 50/50 chance of getting the answer right. Test both choices in AutoCAD by invoking each command.

Question 4 - Just do it. Open a new drawing and type the letter "E" at the command line. What happens? Alternately, are you familiar with the acad.pgp file? It can be opened while your are in AutoCAD by clicking on the Manage tab then looking at the Customization panel. There is an icon labelled Edit Aliases. Use this to open the acad.pgp file and scroll through the file until you find the letter "E". What command is the letter assigned to?

Question 5 - Click on the New icon in the upper left hand corner of your screen. The Select Template dialog box will appear. Stop and look. What choice is already highlighted for you?

Question 6 - Open a new drawing and toggle the F7 key while looking at your screen. What do you see or not see? You can also look at the command line as AutoCAD will tell you what it is happening.

Bottom line....your exam questions are not as difficult as they may seem. I'm betting that many of them can be answered by looking through the study guide you were given as well.