Protected Lisp File

cadmando2

I was doing some spring clean at work “EESI”, cleaning up directories on are server. :?

I have come a cross an old Lisp file that was created by a pass-retired employee.

The program was for inserting block over are server and setting up it layers for each block inserted, pretty nice program, but when I wanted to look how the Lisp file was created I was unable to view the “Protected lisp file”. :huh: I looked at DLC file was fine but I couldn’t look at the Lisp file. I thought maybe it was created buy someone else, but it had his name written in the DCL file. When the dialog box is loaded it shows his name in the dialog box. I just wanted to modify it to add more new blocks. But I don’t know how to open a “protected lisp file”. It is not like it is right protected or copy right protected.

It was created by a pass employee and his has pass way.

How do it open this file?

What program do I need?

I would like to know how to “protect a Lisp file?

Can anyone help me?:)

It means password protected, the same as you can 'protect' excel worksheets, word docs, vba apps, etc.

Ain't it a pain when colleagues do that...brute force it will be a good bet, unless you can guess the password.

First ! grey area who really owns the copyright ? The author or the company if done in his own time then is it his or if done on company time and directed to be done is it the companies ?

If 100% sure its the company then you can un encrypt lisp files. Maybe ring the guy to check !

Isn't the internet a wonderfull thing no more clues.

I think it is probably a compiled VisualLISP routine, possibly from around the R14 era? I know I created a lot of them back then. Without the source code there isn't a lot you can do with them unless you have a decompiler.

First ! grey area who really owns the copyright ? The author or the company if done in his own time then is it his or if done on company time and directed to be done is it the companies ?

Hence why everything that I do is in my own time, and then my routines are loaned to the company I am employed by.

For all the hard work, blood sweat and tears that go into some of my routines, I am not going to let someone else own the script and say that I am not entitled to use it after I leave. BS!

Hence why everything that I do is in my own time, and then my routines are loaned to the company I am employed by.

For all the hard work, blood sweat and tears that go into some of my routines, I am not going to let someone else own the script and say that I am not entitled to use it after I leave. BS!

LCE,

I do a similar thing. I have my supervisor sign a contract stating that I own the programs and that they are only on loan to the company for the time that I am employed by that company unless agreeable compensation has been made.

I added a password to these programs that expires after 6 months. I had to do this because I had a company “backup” my computer and then attempted to use the programs after I had moved on. They threatened to take me to court if I did not restore them. I just sent them a copy of the contract as friendly reminder. I never received a second phone call.

Brian

LCE,

I do a similar thing. I have my supervisor sign a contract stating that I own the programs and that they are only on loan to the company for the time that I am employed by that company unless agreeable compensation has been made.

I added a password to these programs that expires after 6 months. I had to do this because I had a company “backup” my computer and then attempted to use the programs after I had moved on. They threatened to take me to court if I did not restore them. I just sent them a copy of the contract as friendly reminder. I never received a second phone call.

Brian

That is a good idea. I will have to have a think about that.

Cheers

...I was unable to view the “Protected lisp file”.

But I don’t know how to open a “protected lisp file”. It is not like it is right protected or copy right protected.

Sure it may be protected by copyright. That is for you to figure out.

It sounds like this was scrambled by the old "PROTECT.EXE" program. The opposite of that is UNPROTECT.EXE - however many users of PROTECT.EXE also used KELV.EXE - in which case the result will be a mess even if you manage to find UNPROTECT.EXE.

No need to mess with all this post-R14 since you can "compile" a LSP into a FAS or VLX file (see the VLIDE help files).

• 1 year later...
Sure it may be protected by copyright. That is for you to figure out.

It sounds like this was scrambled by the old "PROTECT.EXE" program. The opposite of that is UNPROTECT.EXE - however many users of PROTECT.EXE also used KELV.EXE - in which case the result will be a mess even if you manage to find UNPROTECT.EXE.

No need to mess with all this post-R14 since you can "compile" a LSP into a FAS or VLX file (see the VLIDE help files).

Does anybody have the Unprotect utilities which could convert the Fas and VLX files into Lsp file for editing purpose.

I have tried M.E.C.H-Q but it is expired. How can I do now?

Does anybody have the Unprotect utilities which could convert the Fas and VLX files into Lsp file for editing purpose.

Contact the author of the code. It was compiled to FAS/VLX for a reason.

• 5 months later...

Hi bsmac.

How to make a lisp file password protected and also expires after some time period(i.e 6 months or 8 months). can you provide the program??

regards & thanks

sekar.r

If you just put a date in your code that alerts a message thats its expired it then does "exit" its that easy

Tricky bit is protecting it as a 1st step just put it in your code not many people realise lisp can be read with notepad.

Yeah I to had the phone call program was not working further delving was trying to put on friends computer we locked to serial number. Be carefull of timebombs very frustrating if people are not aware know of one say 2000 customers not happy.

Better is say some silly step in program that keeps repeating (princ now expired)

Its pretty easy to put a licence at the start of a lisp we had a batch file

copy ser.lsp+mylisp.lsp newlisp.lsp

protect newlisp etc

this copied the ser file to every lisp program and protected as well so only 1 ser version required.