How to switch from 3D to 2D

My model space has been switched to a 3D space and I'm having a hard time figureing out how to change it. I would like it to be a 2D space. I am using Auto CAD 2007. Thanks for the help.

Couple options:

1. type DDVPOINT, set X axis to 270, sext xy plane to 90.

2. Type PLAN, c for current, then enter.

As this method is correct, it doesn't really help understand what's going on. In essence, AutoCAD is always capable of 3D, so the 'mode' isn't about going back and forth from 2D to 3D, but simply modifying how you view the infinite or finite boundaries of CADspace.

If you are wanting to get back to the default drawing view, you need to change your perspective. To change perspectives, use your view tool. Simply type 'view'. The view manager opens. Expand the 'Preset Views'. Select 'Top' and press 'OK'. This puts you back to the default drawing perspective.

If you're looking at grey space and not the traditional black, then the visual style is not the default 2d style...to change this back, do the following:

type 'vscurrent' or open the visual styles toolbar

select 2dwireframe

and, in a nutshell, that'll get you back to the basics and, hopefully, give you a little insight on how things are set up in this application

In the upper left corner of your screen (down a bit from the top) you will see Workspaces - click down arrow and select Classic or 2D drafting if you are using the Dashboard.

or maybe it is shademode 2D you are looking for. Give more information if none of the suggestions so far gets you back to where you want to be.

Workspaces.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi gents,

it sound very odd to reply now, i was looking for the answer for the same query, however, i do not think that the replies were the best. what you need to do is to go options/files/template settings/default template file name for qnew. change the file name from acad3d.dwt to acad.dwt and this should solve the problem.

• 1 year later...
My model space has been switched to a 3D space and I'm having a hard time figureing out how to change it. I would like it to be a 2D space. I am using Auto CAD 2007. Thanks for the help.

i have the same problem like this. thank's for all information and i'll try it

Edited by Jenghode

There seems to be some confusion whether we are talking about a .dwt template problem, or a perspective issue. Rereading (a bit too quickly, it seems) I guess it is a bit ambiguous. If you click TOP view on your VIEW toolbar or on your VIEW palette on the ribbon you will be taken to the orthogonal Top view of your model, and your UCS will be reset to WCS. In your visual style manager you probably want to select 2D Wireframe. Selecting a new perspective is as easy as choosing a different icon on your View toolbar or View palette on the ribbon. There are plenty of other ways to do it too, all of which are equally valid.

Edited by Dadgad

Dadgad, the OP is form 2008 and the follow-question from 2010 - your advice is good advice, but hopefully they have solved it already :thumbsup:

Tiger, :beer: I just busted a newbie yesterday for doing this on a 5 year old thread, color me as a virtual lemming lured onto the thread by a relentless desire to help, and or appear like I have something meaningful to contribute. :facepalm: I go all knee-jerk when I see an easy one floating around in the shallow end of the pool.

this problem :

is solvable with this way :

...to change this back, do the following:

select 2dwireframe

i've tried it and done well

this problem :

is solvable with this way :

i've tried it and done well

Baiklah. Seharusnya ngerti perbedaan visualstyle dari perspective, kelihatannya dari posisinya. :thumbsup:

Edited by Dadgad

Baiklah. Seharusnya ngerti perbedaan visualstyle dari perspective, kelihatannya dari posisinya. :thumbsup:

asem..... orang indo rupanya. wakakkaka. how r u? and tinggal dimana?

asem..... orang indo rupanya. wakakkaka. how r u? and tinggal dimana?

Nggak, bojog saja, tapi lumayan lancar. Selamat datang di forumnya. Latihan terus supaya lebih cepat pintar. :wink:

Sing ada apa de di Bali.

..... and now we return to our regular programming. :)

Edited by Dadgad

• 5 years later...
As this method is correct, it doesn't really help understand what's going on. In essence, AutoCAD is always capable of 3D, so the 'mode' isn't about going back and forth from 2D to 3D, but simply modifying how you view the infinite or finite boundaries of CADspace.

If you are wanting to get back to the default drawing view, you need to change your perspective. To change perspectives, use your view tool. Simply type 'view'. The view manager opens. Expand the 'Preset Views'. Select 'Top' and press 'OK'. This puts you back to the default drawing perspective.

If you're looking at grey space and not the traditional black, then the visual style is not the default 2d style...to change this back, do the following:

select 2dwireframe

and, in a nutshell, that'll get you back to the basics and, hopefully, give you a little insight on how things are set up in this application

Thank you very much james.

I know this is a very old thread but I registered to this site just to thank.