Raster image plot problem

viriato79

When I do plot in a layout with a drawing wich has a raster image, this image does not appear in the plot but only the other objects. What´s happening? Is there any raster image on/off button for plotting? In the layout the image is visible even in the plot preview.

Thanks

Sounds like it could be a memory problem.

What version of Autocad are you running? (Please update your profile).

What are the specs on your computer?

What are the specs on your printer?

What pdf program are you using?

What operating system are you running?

Does this happen with all drawings that contain images, or just this one?

Is this image especially large?

What is the file size of the drawing?

Using Autocad 2008, Computer 2MB RAM WinVista Intel Centrino Dual Core, printing with adobe pdf or primo pdf (problem still the same).

Raster Image tiff with 114MB

This happened some time ago and I inserted the image again and the problem was solves, but not this time. Looks like the image is frozen to print, but in the print preview it is visible.

When I do plot in a layout with a drawing wich has a raster image, this image does not appear in the plot but only the other objects. What´s happening? Is there any raster image on/off button for plotting? In the layout the image is visible even in the plot preview.

Thanks

Are you sure that the layer you have the image in isnt checked not to plot?. Sometimes its the simple stuff that gets you!

If the image was on a layer that was set to "No Plot", then he wouldn't see the image in the plot preview.

the image is visible even in the plot preview.

In which case it is likely an issue of insufficient memory in the printer. I've had this issue before with older printers that just didn't have the juice needed to process larger images.

In which case it is likely an issue of insufficient memory in the printer.

That's what I thought, but he says it happens with pdf's also.

I believe the problem is with the image itself. a 114MB image is huge.

Viriato, is the image a tif or a jpg? If it's a tif, try saving it as a jpg and reinsert it. The jpg will have a much smaller file size. This will make it much easier to process the file for printing.

try detaching the raster then write your entire dwg out as a block using WBLOCK

open the new block/dwg and re attach your raster

try plotting then

• 4 months later...

I have changed the tiff image to jpg and reduce size from 114MB to 15MB.

However the problem still mantains.

I have two identical images in the same layer but only one is plotter.

I did the layout again but didn't solve the problem.

Making all the drawing as a block didn't work out too.

The layer where the images are is set to print.

I really don´t know whats going on.

I saved the file as AutoCad2004.dwg and print from CAD2005 version and there was no problem. Maybe is some option that I´m missing in 2008 or some bug.

Raster images can be really confusing to us caddies. If I were you I would retain the file as TIFF instead of JPEG as JPEG is a true bitmap and isn't good for lines and text, nor does it support transparency, stick with tiff. You can try and tile the image as a tiff file but you'll need to do that from an image editing application - that may reduce size. The other thing to remember is that you only need the resolution your plotter will output, anything more is memory wasted.

Below is text straight from the auotcad help menu... particularly see the last sentence... scary... might be worth checking the locations for these temporary files and seeing what size they are.

"Required Memory and Disk Space for Temporary Files

Specifies settings that can affect performance of plotting large raster format files.

Large raster objects are expensive to plot because the files can be large. A 400 × 400 raster uses four times as much memory as a 200 × 200 raster. Color depth can also use a lot of memory, depending on the file format. True Color can use up to 32 times more memory than bitonal rasters. Keep memory issues in mind when configuring a large raster plot.

When you plot a large drawing or a large raster image, several types of temporary files may be created. Make sure you have enough space on your disks for temporary files in the following areas:

• Windows temporary directory: Windows uses this directory for temporary files. The TEMP Windows environment variable determines its location.
  • AutoCAD temporary directory: AutoCAD temporary files are stored in a temporary file directory. This directory is specified in Options on the Files tab.
  • System directory: The system spooler uses this directory. When a plot is spooled, a copy of the data may be in this directory temporarily.
  • Swap space: Windows uses this swap space when an operation uses more RAM than is available. You can configure the location of Windows swap space in the System dialog box in the Windows Control Panel. Allow at least five times as much swap space as RAM. For example, ACIS models or large raster images need more swap space.

Depending on the situation, you may need thousands of megabytes of disk space for these temporary files."

Good luck.