3D Drawing in AutoCAD LT 2000

JoeOuellette

Hi everyone I just asked my friend if I could draw 3D in ACAD LT 2000 ans she said yes. So I did what she said and take a gander at the screen. I click the button and the y-x axis changes and its very confusing. If someone can help me out with drawing 3D in ACAD LT 2000 I would greatly appreciate that. Thanks and heres the picture

3dltacad2000.jpg

you can't draw in 3D, you can only draw in isometric - a 2D representation of 3D, which you can't rotate

Ask your friend to show you how she draws in 3D in a version of AutoCAD that old - just for a laugh :)

Hi everyone I just asked my friend if I could draw 3D in ACAD LT 2000 ans she said yes. So I did what she said and take a gander at the screen. I click the button and the y-x axis changes and its very confusing. If someone can help me out with drawing 3D in ACAD LT 2000 I would greatly appreciate that. Thanks and heres the picture

3dltacad2000.jpg

Autocad LT does not have 3d capabilities to it, only Autocad and its vertical products. LT is a stripped down version of the full Autocad.

you can't draw in 3D, you can only draw in isometric - a 2D representation of 3D, which you can't rotate

Ask your friend to show you how she draws in 3D in a version of AutoCAD that old - just for a laugh :)

What does isometric even mean?

So like when you draw the top, front, and right side views of the object.

sort of. It looks three-dimensional but it isn't. Like a painting that has 'depth'... anyone can explain it better?

Sorry, to be honest I have never looked at Lt, but I have not heard that it does not have 3d capabilities.

Your screen shot actually shows 3D view capabilities, so I would assume that LT can draw in 3d.

Joe under the DRAW pull down what are your commands.?

You can view 3D objects that have been modeled in full Autocad, but you cannot create them in LT.

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoCAD

AutoCAD LT lacks several features. Most notably, it has no 3D modeling capabilities (though it has a full suite of 3D viewing functions for looking at 3D models created in other CAD packages) and does not include any programming interfaces, such as support for most 3rd party programs and does not support LISP programs.

Isometric drawings are done in such a way as to show the front, top and one side view at the same time. It can be pictoral or to scale. Some people get tripped up with curves (a pain at times) when drawing in isometric.

As far as I know there is no true 3D capability in LT unless one buys an add-on package which I hear is being strenuously objected to and challenged in court by AutoDe$k. Search the threads; the topic came up recently.

Truth be told, yes you can "draw" 3d in Lt, I just did it on a friends computer. That is you can draw 2d entities in 3d space. The first thing you need to get used to is the UCS and your viewing position. Type vpoint at the command line then enter coordinates such as 1,-.875,.625 - you will see the ucs icon change to show x,y,z coords and you can draw your stuff using 3d coords. (you could before but the z axis is a little hard to make sense of if you are not looking at a 3d viewing angle). Also, the view you are now observing is an isometric view.

What you cannot do in LT is create 3d solid bodies. You can however bring them into an LT session having been created in a full version.

:shock: I didn't say anything about it's usefulness now did I?

Before I started using solids that's the way I worked believe it or not. I always referred to it as 2 1/2d

Patrick - let me see if I get this correctly. You can draw lines with the help of XYZ-coordinates in AutoCAD LT? But what you get is a 2D image that you can't Orbit, that is, it's not a 3D object? But you can Pan and Zoom I'd imagine? So, as far as I see, AutoCAD LT has provided a simple way to draw Isometric views without the need to you yourself calculate the angles and such?

I'm trying to understand what you mean so I know what might need to be included in this FAQ.

Hello Tiger,

Yes, you can indeed draw in 3d space in LT. The results are 2 dimensional entities such as lines circles, arcs, etc. with x,y,z coordinates. The resulting geometry will represent a 3d object but be comprised of the 2d object. The version of LT my friend has is 2000 and the 3dorbit command is not available in that release, however you can view the geometry in the conventional Top, Side, Front or SW, SE etc 3d viewpoints. You can also use the DView command.

To answer your question regarding isometric view, yes it allows you to do as you state.

I just took a look at the FAQ (should have before first responding) - I guess if you were to make a change I would say something along the lines of LT not having 3d solid modeling capabilities.

• 3 years later...
Hello Tiger,

Yes, you can indeed draw in 3d space in LT. The results are 2 dimensional entities such as lines circles, arcs, etc. with x,y,z coordinates. The resulting geometry will represent a 3d object but be comprised of the 2d object. The version of LT my friend has is 2000 and the 3dorbit command is not available in that release, however you can view the geometry in the conventional Top, Side, Front or SW, SE etc 3d viewpoints. You can also use the DView command.

To answer your question regarding isometric view, yes it allows you to do as you state.

I just took a look at the FAQ (should have before first responding) - I guess if you were to make a change I would say something along the lines of LT not having 3d solid modeling capabilities.

Thank you Mr. Hughes, AutoCad Lt has had 3D from the start, as I see it, it is a function of using the UCS commands/options. I came looking for some insights or short cuts or hints or drwawing 3D in Lt. But got only limited discussion from those with limited knowledge that Lt could not do 3D drawings. And as I read on, I wondered who of these realized that AutoCad does not draw 3D objects either? The screen is flat, period, for both packages, there is only a mathematical representation of "surfaces" used with projected views at any angle. Thus, one can create almost up to CAD renderings of solid objects with hatch/fills. But a lot of work as one noted.

Lt is a pretty big investment as it is, but fits for most of use as a hobby. But, some remodeling efforts are better explained to spouse with isometric drawing and colors than with in a room than with a pencil drawing.

Now back to plodding along to learn Lt 2011 and the many things I do not know about a pretty good product, though I still long for Generic CADD to have kept its product away from autodesk.

It's a flat world when you look at it and it's a flat world when you print it. When AutoCAD ships with 3D glasses maybe it will be less flat. As for 3D printing well there options for that now too if you have the money. 2 1/2D is not 3D either. You're just faking it.