Stretch Wont Stretch

Ok Should Be A Simple One, I Am Trying To Stretch Objects (plines, Lines Etc) But It Isnt Working It Just Moves The Entire Object, Any One Know Why?

Thanks

Ps Sorry About Caps :)

Ok Should Be A Simple One, I Am Trying To Stretch Objects (plines, Lines Etc) But It Isnt Working It Just Moves The Entire Object, Any One Know Why?

Thanks

Ps Sorry About Caps :)

might be a block!!!

Sorry, I know how to stretch normally but I am now using ADT 2007 and for some reason it wont stretch anything, might be a variable. It not a block, just plines and lines etc

It not a region or a block, i have just literally drawn a line or a pline then I go to stretch it in the normal way but instead of one end moving the whole thing does exactly as it would if I used the move command.

To be more accurate on seifers post, when you select using the crossing window, select only the part you want to stretch, do not window the entire object coz it will just move it. just use the crossing window on the part of the object you want to stretch.

Well I hope this solves it

I have just literally drawn a line or a pline then I go to stretch it in the normal way but instead of one end moving the whole thing does exactly as it would if I used the move command.

What is your normal way of stretching? Do you use the STRETCH command? or do you pick the object and use the grips to stretch?

If you are using the grips method, then you can cycle through the alternative commands (Stretch - Move - Rotate - Scale - Mirror) by pressing either the Space bar or Enter. Perhaps a stray digit is catching the Space bar to give you the Move command, all unbeknownst :cry:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bring this up again but no one managed an answer to the question, (a sensible one anyway), the thought that every time I come to stretch something my 'stray digit' hits the space bar is grasping at straws imo but amusing at the same time. I have reverted to using the MSTRETCH command as this solves the problem but takes longer to use. My normal STRETCH command moves the whole entity (either line, pline, leader with text, leader etc etc) an not the end of the thing I am trying to stretch, no its not a block or a region nor do I have dick fingers, any ideas?

Perhaps it is the way that you are picking the line.

You must pick a line to show the Grips, pick a grip to highlight it, then move the crosshair to where you want to stretch it, and pick the final destination.

If you don't highlight a grip but pick the line, and holding down the pick button, you can move the line.

Stretch.jpg

I have noticed that when it doesnt work the message says it is gathering group members, how do you stop it from gathering group members?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to dig this up again peeps but I am still having the same problem, there must be some kind of variable I have not figured on. I have narrowed it down a bit (I think). I have set STRETCH command to key "S" on my keyboard. If I select the area of the object I need stretching first, say the end of a rectangle, the grips show up, I then press "S" then return but it carries out a MOVE command, however, if I press "S" first then return, then select the area I want stretching, the grips dont show this time, then press return the STRETCH command works perfectly. I know I could just carry out the latter all the time but I just want to know if you can have it work both ways.

Cheers again

Dave

You need to select the vertices by crossing for Stretch to work, either by noun/verb or verb/noun. If you select an entity by clicking on it to highlight the grips and then issue the Stretch command, you're selecting all the vertices, ergo all vertices move. Try adding this to your acaddoc.lsp file

(defun c:s() (command "stretch" "C"))

I am not sure whether you are pressing the buttons in the right order to stretch with grips. :?

First pick the rectangle and it then shows Grips. Then hold down the SHIFT button whilst you highlight the Grips you want to move. Release the Shift button, click on one of the highlighted grips and move it to where you want.

You do NOT use the Stretch command in this case.

StretchGrip.jpg

• 1 month later...

aha, wow... autodesk is the one with the stray digits. the reason the stretch command no longer functions properly is because it has been fixed. i imagine you are a pretty efficient draftsman and, in the past, you chose to smash s for stretch, then click the objects you wanted to stretch, the crossing window from left to right... not right to left you hacks, then stretch the object. yeah, that was nice wasn't it. very quick, no deselecting, no unwanted stretching, world peace, etc. the new mode sucks my cumbersome stretching commands stray digits. i am still searching for a fix. i do not believe one exists. it is enough to make me regret upgrading. if you were not using the stretch tool this way before you're slow...

thanks

why would i want to pick grips when i can select all vertices i am interested in stretching with one left to right window? many objects are more complex than a four gripped rectangle. just another one of many unwanted upgrades.

I am trying to understand your problem with the stretch-command.

Do you have dynamic-input enabled? I have found that it has caused me grief (Button: DYN right below the command-line). Make sure the the DYN is not enabled ..

Can you start a new drawing (no-template), draw a square (any size), type stretch on the command line. Use the mouse to high-light the top-right corner of the square (start at mid-point of right line to mid-point of top-line).

Right-click (to complete the grab)

Left click for start-point and then type in a distance that you want it to be stretch'd to?

Hi, I may be having the same problem as you, I use multiple layout tabs for different views of a 3D drawing, some viewports when I make active and try and "stretch" Leaders (I click on the node and try and stretch it that way) that it wont stretch, now some times if I scroll zoom in and back out with my curser over the node I am able to stretch it, I also noticed when I am working in model space with 2 different viewports, if I cannot stretch it in one veiw port, I can switch to the other stretch it from there, and stretching works again in the original view port, though this does not solve your problem it might shead new light onto it!

aha, wow... autodesk is the one with the stray digits. the reason the stretch command no longer functions properly is because it has been fixed. i imagine you are a pretty efficient draftsman and, in the past, you chose to smash s for stretch, then click the objects you wanted to stretch, the crossing window from left to right... not right to left you hacks, then stretch the object. yeah, that was nice wasn't it. very quick, no deselecting, no unwanted stretching, world peace, etc. the new mode sucks my cumbersome stretching commands stray digits. i am still searching for a fix. i do not believe one exists. it is enough to make me regret upgrading. if you were not using the stretch tool this way before you're slow...

thanks

What exactly is the problem unclemercy? What's with all the anger? If you're looking for help, this is not the way to get it. Angry posts like this are usually ignored. If you have a question, please start a new thread. And if you want a little friendly advice, try to compose yourself before posting and choose your words a little more carefully. :wink:

• 1 year later...

I had this problem too. Then I realized I had the number lock on. No numbers were getting entered for my stretch distance so autocad automatically converts the command to "move".

Hope this helps someone.

-Noah