How do I get out of a viewport?

chee_dee

This happens to me quite often and I know ther's a easy way out. Just dont know how. I zoom into a viewport so the border of the viewport cant be seen nor selected nomore, then I double click selecting to zoom the viewport ofcause. Now how do I deselect it without undoing?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobDraw

• chee_dee

• LCE

• kipper

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the bottom right corner of AutoCAD, click on the upside down triangle. Check that there is a tick next to Paper/Model. If there is not, then select it.

Now at the bottom of your screen, where ORTHO, OSNAP, etc is there will be a button which will say PAPER or MODEL depending on if you are in paperspace or modelspace/viewport.

If you are in a viewport and it says model, then just click it and it will change to paper and take you out of the viewport.

Let me know if you are unsure about this and I will post a screenshot.

Alternatively, type PSPACE at the command line.

that doesnt help, cos wen I go back to that paperspace tab, it's still selected IN that viewport. I wana stay on that tab but get out of the viewport

OK. I am not sure what you did then because that should work fine. But if you tried both solutions and isn't working then alternatively, in the bottom of the screen there is a little square with a partial red outline, if you hover over it it will say MAXIMIZE VIEWPORT. Click this and your screen will change with a red outline, and so will the image on the button. Click the button again and you will be in paperspace.

do you need to zoom in so the viewport boudary can't be seen, and have you tried "locking" your viewport befor you zoom in?

You should just be able to double click outside the viewport... and double click inside it to go back to MS.

• 1 year later...
You should just be able to double click outside the viewport... and double click inside it to go back to MS.

That is the point though, the original poster said they have zoomed into the viewport and can't see the edges. The same thing drives my crazy too!!

• 1 month later...

ms enter goes into model space

ps enter goes into paper space

shift r rotates through the different viewports

if you double click on the edge of a viewport it goes into modelspace at the location of the viewport you were in

if you click on a viewport then right click Display Locked select yes then you just locked the viewport from changing scale and panning

I think I said the same as others but all in one message

Chuck H

• 3 years later...

ALWAYS lock your viewports at the appropriate scale, then you can work inside of them while in the paperspace tab. Locking your viewport enables you to zoom in and out freely and will not effect the scale of the viewport itself.

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys maybe it will help!!! why dont you try to type in command line the vpmax if you want to go in your model space then type in command line the vpmin if you want to go out.

• 11 months later...

Press ZE (zoom extents), then you can do anything of the mentioned above (like locking viewport etc.). You should probably be in Paperspace while zooming.

"Undo" was my regular solution for this problem, until my computer once made a sudden restart, and when I got back to file, I were already inside the viewport with no hope for undoing )

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

If you are zoomed in too far to be able to double click outside of the viewport. you can lock it at whatever scale you are currently in, and then you can zoom out into paperspace and try again to reset your vp scale. Personally, i will do a ZOOM TO OBJECT, (Z enter, O enter) and window the objects that i want in that vp, then adjust the scale to appropriate size, LOCK THE VP!!! then resize, move, or annotate the vp as necessary. HTH!!

If you are zoomed in too far to be able to double click outside of the viewport. you can lock it at whatever scale you are currently in, and then you can zoom out into paperspace and try again to reset your vp scale. Personally, i will do a ZOOM TO OBJECT, (Z enter, O enter) and window the objects that i want in that vp, then adjust the scale to appropriate size, LOCK THE VP!!! then resize, move, or annotate the vp as necessary. HTH!!
PS is not enough keystrokes?