Dimensioning

Vince0115

Good afternoon!

Now I get to show my raw beginner status. We just installed Autocad on this machine for the first time (Light, 2005). Could someone please tell me how to store a Dimension Styly once I have created it?

This department regularly imports dwg files and dxf files into our CAM program; now we are helping to create and size the drawings. It seems that every time I start a new drawing, I have to re-create the Architectural dimensioning that we use --- it hasn't been saved anywhere. Or if it has, I sure can't find where.

Thanks to all you people who are more knowledgeable than me (that means EVERYONE!!!!).

Vince G.

Argyle Cut Stone Co

Hello Vince G. Welcome to the forum. We have a template drawing the we use to do several items like you mention. Once we start a new drawing we import the template drawing with all the settings pre set. Sounds like you need to first create a template drawing. AutoCAD has some template files already in the software that you can use or modify to your liking. This will get you started in the right direction.

Thank you, gentlemen. Will the template settings over-ride the settings on a drawing which is imported from/created on another location on our network? Or will I have to re-do the settings again?

Vince

I use a pulldown menu to call a script file to update the current drawing. I don't think LT can utilize AutoLisp, so this might not help you, but it is another way to do it...

Pulldown

[->Dimension Style Install]
           [<-48 Scale Install]^C^C^C(if(tblsearch "dimstyle" "48 SCALE")(command "script" "Z:/Scripts/DimensionStyles/Setup-Dimension-48-Scale-Overwrite.scr")(command "script" "Z:/Scripts/DimensionStyles/Setup-Dimension-48-Scale.scr"));

Script File (Setup-Dimension-48-Scale.scr)

(SETQ NEWSTYLE "48 SCALE")
(SETQ CLAY (GETVAR "CLAYER"))
(SETQ OLDOSMODE (GETVAR "OSMODE"))
(SETQ TSTYLE (GETVAR "TEXTSTYLE"))
(COMMAND "QLEADER" ^C^C)
-LAYER
SET

(SETQ LAY "DIM")
(SETQ COL "2")
-LAYER
MAKE
!LAY
COLOR
!COL
!LAY

-STYLE
DIM
ARCHITXT.SHX
NO
NO
NO
(IF(NOT C:LEADERUPDATE)(LOAD "Z:/AUTOLISP/LEADERUPDATE.LSP"))
LEADERUPDATE
(command "insert" "Z:/JobSupport/Russ+Carlson/Blocks/Arrowhead_RC.dwg" "0,0" "1" "1" "0")
(setq arrow (entlast))
(command "erase" arrow "")
DIMADEC
DIMALT
Off
DIMALTD
DIMALTF
DIMALTRND
0"
DIMALTTD
DIMALTTZ
DIMALTU
DIMALTZ
DIMAPOST

DIMASZ
1/64"
DIMATFIT
DIMAUNIT
DIMAZIN
DIMBLK
Arrowhead_RC
DIMBLK1
_ARCHTICK
DIMBLK2
_ARCHTICK
DIMCEN
1/16"
DIMCLRD
DIMCLRE
DIMCLRT
DIMDEC
DIMDLE
0"
DIMDLI
3/8"
DIMDSEP
DIMEXE
1/16"
DIMEXO
1/16"
DIMFRAC
DIMGAP
1/32"
DIMJUST
DIMLDRBLK
Arrowhead_RC
DIMLFAC
DIMLIM
Off
DIMLUNIT
DIMLWD
DIMLWE
DIMPOST

DIMRND
0"
DIMSAH
ON
DIMSCALE
DIMSD1
Off
DIMSD2
Off
DIMSE1
Off
DIMSE2
Off
DIMSOXD
Off
DIMTAD
DIMTDEC
DIMTFAC
DIMTIH
OFF
DIMTIX
Off
DIMTM
0"
DIMTMOVE
DIMTOFL
ON
DIMTOH
OFF
DIMTOL
OFF
DIMTOLJ
DIMTP
0"
DIMTSZ
0"
DIMTVP
DIMTXSTY
DIM
DIMTXT
3/32"
DIMTZIN
DIMUPT
Off
DIMZIN
(setq QLIS (dictsearch (namedobjdict) "AcadDim"))
(setq QLIS (subst (cons 60 4) (assoc 60 QLIS) QLIS))
(setq QLIS (subst (cons 67 3) (assoc 67 QLIS) QLIS))
(setq QLIS (subst (cons 71 1) (assoc 71 QLIS) QLIS))
(setq QLIS (subst (cons 170 1) (assoc 170 QLIS) QLIS))
(entmod QLIS)
-DIMSTYLE
SAVE
!NEWSTYLE
(SETVAR "CLAYER" CLAY)
(SETVAR "OSMODE" OLDOSMODE)
(SETVAR "TEXTSTYLE" TSTYLE)
(IF(NOT C:ARCHTICK)(LOAD "Z:/AUTOLISP/ARCHTICK.LSP"))
ARCHTICK

If (Setup-Dimension-48-Scale-Overwrite.scr) is called, the only difference between the two script files is the line "YES" to overwrite existing. This ensures that the dimstyle is EXACTLY the way I want it to be.

Setup-Dimension-48-Scale-Overwrite.scr difference

SAVE
!NEWSTYLE
YES

Thank you, sir!!! I don 't know either if Lite will let me use AutoLISP, but I'm willing to try it. Busy today, so it will be Monday or (more likely) Tuesday that I do it. Again, thanks!

Vince G

My approach can be stripped of the LISP without too much loss of function. My LISP pretty much just checks if the dimension style is already installed so that it knows which script to run. Also, the save name of the dimension style. That stuff could be done manually, but then it kind of loses the essense of customization.

Oh oh! My 2005 Lite doesn't have those two commands DIMEX and DIMIM. So again I'm lost.

Oh sorry about that. I'm out of suggestions now. :cry:

My approach can be stripped of the LISP without too much loss of function.

You were right, Lite (even the 2005) doesn't use LISP. I'm researching on how to strip the LISP out of what you posted. I would rather research it than ask -- otherwise I'll never learn. If I really get lost I'll ask. Thanks for everything so far.

Vince

• 5 years later...

Hi, Just join up to day, I have to say, this as been a helpful site. I should have join earlier. I've already learn alot already from this site.

But now I'm asking for some help, If anyone can help or point me in the right direction.

I have only been using AutoCAD now for just over a year, When I found out about the LISP routine. I was wonding if any one can help me with an idea. I'm wondering if it is possible to create an object like a block, that can have its length changed. I'm electrician by trade and I'm wondering if I was to draw trunking say 50x225x???? (???? being the length). How wound I go about creating this as a LISP Routine, so the block can be any length. The reason I interested in this Idea, is once these have been drawn, I can do a count of the blocks at there different lenghts for ordering.

If anyone can give me some idea on how to start off on this project, it would be apperciated. I'm shore I might be able to finish it off, as I've not done any LISP Routine before.

Any help would be apperciated.