How to soften the edges?

DavidZ

Hello everyone!

I'm new here, with limited AutoCAD experience(I'm more for ArchiCAD), and I'm working for a company that makes plastic cup(yoghurt, etc.) as a summer job. As a hobby I started doing 3D models of the cups. But the edges of the cups are still not round. They look rough. Do you guys have any ideas on how to fix this? In the wireframe looks the cup looks perfectly round, but when I switch to 3D wireframe or conceptual look it all gets rough again. The render is rough too... (I tried uploading a picture, but it wouldn't take; invalid target file??)

Thanks in advance:)

David

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nick@TE-Direct

• ReMark

• Cad64

• DavidZ

Top Posters In This Topic

Rendered object smoothness can be controlled with the variable FACETRES. The default setting is 0.5 but you should try setting this to 5. The max setting is 10.

• 10 months later...

Bringing up an old post, but what if after setting the facetres to 10 you have a round edge that is still not smooth.

Several other factors influence appearance of objects in 3D. The topic has been covered previously. Try using the Search option above or take a look at Similar Threads listed below.

I know facetres and review, i did search and tried some things out but still getting the same results, here is a pic of what I am talking about.

website.jpegwebsite.jpg

Sorry. Am unable to bring up your image.

Suggestions? Yes. Have you checked the setting for the variable SPLINESEGS? The default is 8. Bump this up to 100. The max value is 32767. Let us know if that solves the problem or not.

Still no luck. I think the IT department here has blocked the link.

What is the setting for ISOLINES set at?

Shouldn't matter as I now realize it should not affect the HIDE or RENDER commands.

Back in 2005 forum member erona posted this reply to a similar question:

"This is more like an Anti-aliasing issue. Under the Render Dialog Box, click "more options" then choose what type of anti-aliasing you want to use. Let me warn you tho, the higher the setting, the slower the rendering."

It was also mentioned by CADTutor himself it might be related to the drivers for one's graphics card. Do you have the latest versions?

I don't know it may be the angle I am rendering it at or it may just be some weird setting but I bumped up the sampling which is part of the anti-aliasing and it has to do with smooth edges and once again it did nothing

I'm inquiring as to the latest version of your graphic's card drivers.

What graphics card are you using? How much onboard vidRAM does it have?

solid object, I wish you could see the pic it would make it easier but it is a 316 Stn. Stl. strap that is about .025" thick

Your graphics card seems to be up to the task.

Are you using a laptop by any chance?

Have you looked at the settings for performance tuning using the 3dconfig command? Click on Manual Tune.