mouse vs. hand pain

dusko

lately i feel pain in thumb muscle of my right (mouse) hand.

i use cordless logitech with two AA battery (pretty heavy mouse).

it has bad ergonomy.

can you recommend some type of extra good mouse!

thank you :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Strix

• dusko

• Tiger

• Geoffers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

lately i feel pain in thumb muscle of my right (mouse) hand.

i use cordless logitech with two AA battery (pretty heavy mouse).

it has bad ergonomy.

can you recommend some type of extra good mouse!

thank you :)

As well as Tigers good thread, you would be wise to visit a Doctor (just to have your wrist and thumb checked out)... I went last week for my pain, because I left mine so long, I have to wear a wrist splint as well as having a better mouse. :(

Also, see if your company don't have some sort of fysical therapist or ergonomist that can come and check how you work - the right work position can do wonders with all sorts of pains.

Also, see if your company don't have some sort of fysical therapist or ergonomist that can come and check how you work - the right work position can do wonders with all sorts of pains.

Does that include a pain in the ass?

Apart from stupid comments, I also experience pain in my right (mouse) hand around the thumb and wrist. The best solution I have found is to have regular breaks (see, smoking is doing me some good). Also, mouse pads with wrist supports seem to help as well.

Does that include a pain in the ass?

Apart from stupid comments, I also experience pain in my right (mouse) hand around the thumb and wrist. The best solution I have found is to have regular breaks (see, smoking is doing me some good). Also, mouse pads with wrist supports seem to help as well.

Actually yes :)

and while I see the benefit of smoking there - I want to find the doctor that'll tell you smoking is better than hand pain :wink:

If you do see a doctor dont let them talk you into having an operation on your hand if they think it could be Carpel Tunnel.

What they dont tell you (maybe they dont know?) is that

your hand can be stretched out by a licenced massage therapist.

It hurts allot the first couple of times but makes a huge diff.

Some people will benefit from an operation but it should be undertaken only as a last resort. Unfortunately, in the interim, one must live with quite a bit of pain. But hey, that's why they invented steroids and pain killers. Just don't get hooked on either.

Having worked in surgery for two years I can tell you the operation (carpal tunnel) is usually no big deal. It's done under a local nerve block so the patient is awake. However, once the operation is over, they wrap your hand/wrist area with so much padding that it looks like someone grafted a football (American style) to the end of your arm. Makes it tough to put on a shirt, open a beer and wipe one's...brow. You thought I was going to say a$$ didn't you?

I find that the wrong sized mouse and/or dirty gliders are the biggest culprits in hand pain - like wearing the wrong shoes!

It doesn't matter what anybody else recommends as the most fantastic mouse on the planet, I'm usually rummaging about in the 'retired gizmos' box when I go to a new job - looking for a mouse which fits neatly into my small hands instead of overstretching. The buttons are easier to press if you're hitting them in the right spot, and if you don't have a big clunky mouse you're not 'steering' it round the desk with your thumb. I don't think I'll be going cordless any time soon!

I find that using a mouse pad with a wrist support does wonders, also don't put the deathgrip on the mouse. Just let it float loosly in your hand.

I use a Microsoft optical mouse. It's a cheap and lightweight mouse.

I'm left handed and use the mouse configured for a right handed person. You might try going into the control panel and switching the left and right mouse buttons. That way you can hold the mouse in a different position.

If you do see a doctor dont let them talk you into having an operation on your hand if they think it could be Carpel Tunnel.

What they dont tell you (maybe they dont know?) is that

your hand can be stretched out by a licenced massage therapist.

It hurts allot the first couple of times but makes a huge diff.

It sounds the first stages of something like Carpel Tunnel or RSI.

Massage is a start but what is needed is a change in lifestyle and more than just smoke breaks.

I have had pain in the wrist a few times and pain in the shoulder. It troubled me on and off for years.

After I looked into yoga, pilates, and feldenkrias, I have had no problems at all. It also fixed a few other problems as well! My back was bothering me and my other hand (not mouse hand) would often fall asleep for seemingly no appearent reason

I'm so thrilled by the difference that sometimes I put people off because of my preaching/enthusiasm for it.

Twenty years usin' a mouse. I like the smaller laptop, wireless mouse.

No pain yet, no problems at all. That does include using the keyboard, also wireless.

Work comfortable.

Dusko IO've got Carpal tunnel real bad in my right hand for what ever reason,and trust me when I tell go see a Doctor before it gets too bad. they tell me the only fix for it is surgery on my wrist,so I'm S.O.L. I'm too scared to let them work on my hands! if I had seen a doctor early on they could have done lots of non surgery things to make it better. but for now I find having a large Drawing board surface for my computer let's me stretch out my arm so my entire forearm is resting on the table. I also found that I like my $9 logitech mouse better than the $50 ergonomic mouse :)

When things hurt, most people instantly jump to the conclusion;

'If it hurts, don't move it. It is safe to move it when it no longer hurts. I'll wait.'

In some cases that is the worst thing you can do. Think about a hinge that is stiff. Not moving it until it becomes un-stiff will make it seize

I was told my shoulder would need an operation. After 8 weeks of pilates followed by 5 minutes of yoga 4 times a week (on average) for about 1 year, (tried for daily but often forgot) my shoulder is fine and no hint of a problem

Yoga may be too much to start out on. Find your level. Even a 103 year old person can do feldenkrais.

This talk about wireless mice, and the weight of them has got me thinking. I have a wireless mouse both at work and at home, but also have a wired in the office. I had never noticed the vast weight difference before, and started to think and realised that the pain has only started since using wireless mice....

On another note, what is feldenkrais?

... wireless mouse both at work and at home, but also have a cordless in the office...

I am confused; I though a cordless was wireless?:unsure:

I am confused; I though a cordless was wireless?:unsure:

My bad...it is early morning here...I meant wired, not cordless. Thank you so much for pointing out my stupidity for the world to see. :wink: :P

My bad...it is early morning here...I meant wired, not cordless. Thank you so much for pointing out my stupidity for the world to see. :wink: :P

Umm.

1 it's morning here also, 250m SW of you:roll:

2 still confused but that's normal for me,:D

3 I am sure you are not stupid:wink:

4 it is a bit public here, isn't it?:oops:

Umm.

1 it's morning here also, 250m SW of you:roll:

2 still confused but that's normal for me,:D

3 I am sure you are not stupid:wink:

4 it is a bit public here, isn't it?:oops:

1. Damn, there goes my excuse.

2. I mean, bog standard, no thrills, plug into your PC with a fat wire trailing over your desk mouse.

3. Don't be so sure :wink: