Poll: Do you dimension in Model Space or Paper Space?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    jt6572

Default DIMENSIONING DEBATE: MODEL OR PAPER SPACE?!

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

hi guys,
    my colleagues and i have been discussing the amazingly interesting and highly controversial topic of whether dimensioning in model or paperspace is best.
    i for one, am an old fashioned model space guy, using scaled dims. but others are using dims scaled to paperspace in paperspace.
    both have ads and disads. what is your opinion?
    one of the things i dont like about dimensioning in PS is that sometimes when you move around in your viewport the dims dont completely move (i use viewports a lot, and am always stretching and moving them and panning around).

anyone got any views they would like to contribute?

and how do i make this a poll? i put a title in the 'poll question' field but no poll?

Computer Details
    CADTutor's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    Motherboard:
    Asus P7P55D-E PRO
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-860
    RAM:
    4GB PC3-12800 C8 Corsair Dominator
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 768 MB
    Primary Storage:
    Intel X25-M SSD 160GB
    Secondary Storage:
    Samsung Spinpoint 320GB
    Monitor:
    BenQ FP241W 24" Wide
    Discipline
    Education
    CADTutor's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Senior Lecturer (Digital Design), Landscape Architect & Web Designer
    Discipline
    Education
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

Good question jt6572. I've always used model space myself but I often wonder if it's only because I've never tried dimensioning in paper space

I added the poll for you.
    Tip: Please do not PM or email me with CAD questions - use the forums, you'll get an answer sooner.
    AutoCAD Tutorials | How to add images to your posts | How to register successfully | Forum FAQ

Dr.Syn

Default paperspace, using 2000 & 2004

I model in modelspace & dim using paperspace, I'm using 2000 & 2004. I believe in previous vertions it didn't matter??
    I don't know how I'd do it if I started with 2D. I suppose I could do that the same way.

Using
    Architectural DT 2007

I tried adding all my text and dims in paper space after hearing some users rating it,but after a couple of weeks I soon tunred back.I found that if you needed to change the scale of your drawing say an enginer wanted the drawing on a different paper size it wasnt as straight forward as it would be if I had my text in paper space.Also if someone who wasnt that CAD literate opened the drawing,unlocked the vport & tried panning back and forth in paper space it could knock all the dims and text out of line with the drawing in model space.

Using
    AutoCAD 2007

Quote Originally Posted by hyposmurf
    I tried adding all my text and dims in paper space after hearing some users rating it,but after a couple of weeks I soon tunred back.I found that if you needed to change the scale of your drawing say an enginer wanted the drawing on a different paper size it wasnt as straight forward as it would be if I had my text in paper space.Also if someone who wasnt that CAD literate opened the drawing,unlocked the vport & tried panning back and forth in paper space it could knock all the dims and text out of line with the drawing in model space.
    Send them the file with the viewports XREFed to avoid that. You can control editing of the Xrefs.

Nick
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/80049703@N00/ http://mtbnick.fotopic.net/
    http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff241/dyNick_Scots/
    http://designgraphicsshowcase.blogspot.com/

High School Classroom - 21 AutoCAD 2007, Inventor 11, COREL Draw & Paint 11. Very Unreliable Network.

Home - AMD 2.1GHZ - 512Ram, 64 Video,
    Laptop Inventor 7, Autocad 2004, Corel 11

jt6572

Thanks very much for adding the poll, 'Site Administrator'.

hi hyposmurf, the reasons you mentioned are some of the ones i thought too. i tried it out for a little while (paperspace) and really liked the simplicity of having just one dim style and how they followed the entities you had dimensioned. but then, as i said, i dont think it is for me.

Discipline
    Architectural
    erona's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Architect
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Using
    AutoCAD 2013

With drawings revisions of at least 8 times (don't ask me why), we find it easier to adjust drawings with dims in model space.
    erona

2hot

Send them the file with the viewports XREFed to avoid that. You can control editing of the Xrefs.
    Very Interesting, Mr. T....Could you give more details on that?

However, I dimension in both PS and MS...more in MS than in PS though. I use PS when I haven't defined any Dimension Style to suit the drawing. Baaah....I depends on the mood I find myself.

johng

model space for me, maybe i'm just a good old fashioned type of guy

pennylove

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

I perfer ps. You can lock the viewports and if you have a very good drafting standards in your office, the stupid people who don't know what they are doing wont' mess it up. Also, it is easier for people who get confused on the sizes of text, the fit scale, and those who have trouble setting up dimstyles. It's easier to have just one. Plus, not only can you lock the layer, but also display lock the viewport. Only unlock it when absolutely neseccary.