DIMENSIONING DEBATE: MODEL OR PAPER SPACE?!

Guest jt6572

Do you dimension in Model Space or Paper Space?  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Do you dimension in Model Space or Paper Space?

• Model Space
    • Paper Space
    • I have no idea what you are talking about

Guest Rebel

paperspace + associative dimensions = win! 8) :lol:

I too orignally did dimensioning in MS, but found PS with the above mentioned associative dimensions much much cleaner. Just my .02...

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lazer

• WannaBeCader

• EMS_0525

• DANIEL

I do my dims in paperspace thats the way i was shown at college, also told to think as paperspace as a plain sheet of glass put over you drawing and put your dims and text on the sheet of class and not on the model.

looking at post 2 up from mine PAUL AND REBEL im guessing where at college doing cad, and i think if your self taught then u might missout on the advantage of associative dimensions in paperspace.

Thanks JT for the poll.

I am self taught (good or bad?) and have always dim'd in MS. My current job insists on PS, which I really really dislike. After reading the pro's/cons I guess PS is not that bad, I never realized dims can be associated in PS. Does that mean if I stretch a line in MS the dim in PS updates?????. Need to read more.

I still like MS. I can shift the vp, stretch, re-scale then update the dims. Guess the bad "after taste" from work is we dim in PS and always override the text, (no scaling). For me this makes no sense. :x

Yea WannaBeCader if I stretch a line in MS the dim in PS updates

in 2004 autocad i think i remember having 2 press ENTER twice to get it 2 update.

But im using 2006 now and it updates straight away.

we do all our drafting in model space at 1:1, everything else goes in paperspace, we use a border that is 1:1 full size and plots on 11X17 at 1:2 as a true half scale, its made standardizing text dimensions and other layout information alot simplier, we do our scaling of the drawing through the viewport, although i must say i've had a hard time finding draftspeople with the appropriate knowledge and/or the ability to grasp it.

• 1 month later...
Yea WannaBeCader if I stretch a line in MS the dim in PS updates

in 2004 autocad i think i remember having 2 press ENTER twice to get it 2 update.

But im using 2006 now and it updates straight away.

Sorry to rise the dead, but I have looked + looked....even tried the help file as a last resort :shock:

No Way.. dims in PS associated to MS enities...We have 04 @ work and I don't see how. Pls explain how to do this o:)

lets say u draw a rectangle in model spage, now go layout tab1 and click paperspace now dim the rectangle. now go back to model space stretch the rectangle..now go back to paperspace .....the dim has updated...

"Make new dimensions associative" in Tools-Options-User Preferences must be turned on for dimensions to update. It's a great feature but i see a problem here though. All associative dimensions done while this option was turned off do NOT update when you stretch in MS. Would that mean having to redo old drawings just so your dimensions are in PS?

With regards to the original post, i prefer the WYSIWYG approach & doing it in MS. That should not matter though. You should be able to dimension MS & PS.

You are 100% right JessB if it was turned of then it would not work..Acad 2004( what WannaBeCader is using) has associative dimensions clicked on as a default install. so if someone has turned it off then it wouldnt work....great point.

JessB wrote:Would that mean having to redo old drawings just so your dimensions are in PS?

YES REDO ( hope i understand the question right and correct me please if mis understood).. Lets say in 2004 Acad u have associative dimensions turned of then stretched the drg in model space...(it didnt update for me) i saved it...shutdown and restart.. open drg then TOOLS OPTIONS USER PREFS click MAKE NEW DIM ASSOCIATIVE ........ the drg will not update.

I never dim in modelspace i never add text to a model I only model in model space and in paper space I add dims/text/boarders infact all writing is done in paperspace.

Now if i did add dims to a model everone at work would kill me..

Good job we dont work together bloodwig80.

I never dim in modelspace i never add text to a model I only model in model space and in paper space I add dims/text/boarders infact all writing is done in paperspace.

Now if i did add dims to a model everone at work would kill me..

Good job we dont work together bloodwig80.

i'm the guy around my office that gets the pleasure of strangling people for putting text, dimensions, and what not in modelspace :mrgreen:

Guess I'm a whimp, I'm not wanting to straggle anyone, just trying to understand......

I still dont see any PS fans explaining why....OK Deelay has showed me that dims update..(one of my arguments shot down) Still....

how do PS fans handle a viewport that changes scale? resizes? moves to another sheet? For MS folks its easy

If a person argues that they want the dims and text all the same, why not take your dimstyle and check the "Scale to Paperspace" box?

I'm not seeing any "big advantages" to PS, any light?????

Guess I'm a whimp, I'm not wanting to straggle anyone, just trying to understand......

I still dont see any PS fans explaining why....OK Deelay has showed me that dims update..(one of my arguments shot down) Still....

how do PS fans handle a viewport that changes scale? resizes? moves to another sheet? For MS folks its easy

If a person argues that they want the dims and text all the same, why not take your dimstyle and check the "Scale to Paperspace" box?

I'm not seeing any "big advantages" to PS, any light?????

we do all our drafting in model space at 1:1, everything else goes in paperspace, we use a border that is 1:1 full size and plots on 11X17 at 1:2 as a true half scale, its made standardizing text dimensions and other layout information alot simplier, we do our scaling of the drawing through the viewport. we use xref's and this allows us to update multiple drawings at once, and our drawings almost generate themselves at this point, i would never consider going back to a modelspace set up, it creates to much work when drawings out grow the current scale or border, you've either got to scale your border or your drawing, both options are unacceptable and with paperpace if you need to add a new sheet of details you simply create a new tab with new viewports, you don't have to redraw, copy, go back and forth between drawing updating or anything like that.

Pretty much the same here except we dimension in ms.

we do all our drafting in model space at 1:1, everything else goes in paperspace, we use a border that is 1:1 full size and plots on 11X17 at 1:2 as a true half scale, its made standardizing text dimensions and other layout information alot simplier, we do our scaling of the drawing through the viewport. we use xref's and this allows us to update multiple drawings at once, and our drawings almost generate themselves at this point, i would never consider going back to a modelspace set up, it creates to much work when drawings out grow the current scale or border, you've either got to scale your border or your drawing, both options are unacceptable and with paperpace if you need to add a new sheet of details you simply create a new tab with new viewports, you don't have to redraw, copy, go back and forth between drawing updating or anything like that.