dynamic door w/ variable swing arc resolved!

hazardman

Patrick, I'm having the same trouble as you. I've tried every conceivable combination of parameters and grips - including chaining a second distance parameter vertical at the door to chain to the horizontal opening width parameter - but either the door leaf skews or the linear parameter grip rotates along with the leaf. I cannot replicate the behavior of this excellent block! Has anyone else figured this out?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hazardman

• leaper23

• daft vader

• Dana W

How did you "include" the stretch parameter with the rotation parameter?

Patrick

hummm....i did this block with version 2008...back then when you added an action you can place it where ever you wanted so i placed it at the end of the door...then when i added the rotation parameter i was able to select that stretch action...can't seem to recreate this effect in 2010 :( because autocad now automatically groups/places the action next to the parameter and those actions are no longer selectable to be able to be included with another action?..

mark this up as progress--lol...

hey, just did some poking around and found a variable that will display the action in "legacy" mode...

bactionbarmode set to 0 will bring back the old system of displaying the action as "lightning" icons and will allow you to add that "lightning" as part of a selection set!..

i have now been able to replicate the block behaviour in 2010!..

Edited by hazardman

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I have created a dynamic door block in Acad 2018 using your swing arc which works very well. I'm wondering if you could take a look at it as the swing and

the arc rotates but when i rotate the swing and try and change the door size,

the door rotates past the swing degrees i have set it to. This block is very complex

(probably only to me) as iv'e had to add accessible signage and clear space as

they are for school projects. I have no problems if i adjust the size at 90 degrees

and then rotate the door but i was hoping i could resize the door with the swing

at any set degree. Any help would be appreciated

EXT DOOR - ADA - RESTROOM AND REGULAR.dwg

Edited by Jman

Unfortunately not.

The stretch you have set to control the doors actual length will only stretch vertically. As soon as you change the angle of the door and then attempt to stretch it just pulls it out of shape.

You will always have to follow an order of operations for this block to work.

You could remake this block using geometric and dimensional constraints though. It would be overly complicated how ever.

]

• 4 years later...
On 7/17/2008 at 1:34 PM, hazardman said:

i finally got a chance to test out my theory about using an angular dimension as a substitution for the swing arc in a dynamic door--no more visibility states!...as most of us are aware an actual arc can not be manipulated in a dynamic block to only stretch the endpoints along it's circumferance...in answering to a thread i thought of the idea of using an angular dimension and this is the result of my trials...

you will note that i created a small horizontal line placed on a non-plotable layer so i can run the dimension from this to the vertical door panel...then i had to use a scale parameter to affect the "swing" size that make the door width--tricky!..i turned off all the tick and extension on the dim and overriden the dim text "" with a blank space...

a few development testing came up with some bugs...the first problem appeared when changing the door swing angle then altering the door size...it resulted in a skewed door panel...to resolve this i had to make sure that the stretch parameter was included with the rotation parameter...

the other problem was that when i had closed the door to 0 degrees the dimension angle whould appear as a semi-circle and that when i reopened the door the angle arc was further away from the door...to resolve this all i had to do was use a minimum rotation angle of 0.01--which is close enough to zero for plotting needs 😉 ...

another thing to note about the dimension is to make sure that make new dimension associative is on in the options or else the angle will not associate to the two entities it's dimensioning to...i also suspect that if the door opens greater then 180 degrees--which i doubt would ever hapen--the dim angle will flip to show the shortest so this trick may not be sutible for otehr types of dynamic block where a "stretchable" arc is required...

so anyway, just thought i'd post the block for your reverse engineering needs...

enjoy!

hm

(ps, this probably should go in the showcase forum but i'll leave it up to the mods to decide 😉 )

dynamic door swing hm.dwg 55.95 kB · 851 downloads

Bravo..I tried as you described to include the stretch parameter in the rotation parameter, but the stretch triangle symbol also rotates...in your sample dwg it works well...How did it? Please help...