+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    dangermouse

Default EXPLODING TEXT TO GEOMETRY

HI,
    im now using autocad2002 and i would like to know how to expolode text so that it is basically converted in to lines and arcs (so i can incorporate it in to a milling prg ) .in autocad2000 there is a an express menu which has this item on it

thank you for your time

superjari

You could type the EXPLODE command, or just use the explode button in the modify toolbar...

robfowler

I think Express Tools was sold separate when it came to Acad 2002 but was free with 2000. Could you not migrate the Express Tools across to 2002?

For those without Express Tools there is another way to explode text and that is to WMF it out to a windows metafile and then insert the WMF file back into the drawing - now the text is exploded and can be extruded in 3D.

Rob.

robfowler

Forget the last part of my last post - I just tried it and it doesn't work. I'm sure I have used that method before and can't think what step I'm missing for the moment.

Sorry superjari, but you can't use the explode tool on mtext - it doesn't work.

Rob.

dangermouse

HI
    thanks very much for your help,ill give it a go on monday at work and let you know how it goes.

always smiling dangermouse

superjari

Quote Originally Posted by robfowler
    Forget the last part of my last post - I just tried it and it doesn't work. I'm sure I have used that method before and can't think what step I'm missing for the moment.

Sorry superjari, but you can't use the explode tool on mtext - it doesn't work.

Rob.
    Yes,

I found out it doesn't work, I thought I once exploded text...

Sorry, my mistake...

Computer Details
    CADTutor's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    Motherboard:
    Asus P7P55D-E PRO
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-860
    RAM:
    4GB PC3-12800 C8 Corsair Dominator
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 768 MB
    Primary Storage:
    Intel X25-M SSD 160GB
    Secondary Storage:
    Samsung Spinpoint 320GB
    Monitor:
    BenQ FP241W 24" Wide
    Discipline
    Education
    CADTutor's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Senior Lecturer (Digital Design), Landscape Architect & Web Designer
    Discipline
    Education
    Using
    AutoCAD 2014

Quote Originally Posted by robfowler
    For those without Express Tools there is another way to explode text and that is to WMF it out to a windows metafile and then insert the WMF file back into the drawing - now the text is exploded and can be extruded in 3D.

Rob.
    That's a neat trick. Extrude won't work on lines and arcs but you can give them a thickness using the Properties Panel.
    Tip: Please do not PM or email me with CAD questions - use the forums, you'll get an answer sooner.
    AutoCAD Tutorials | How to add images to your posts | How to register successfully | Forum FAQ

Using
    AutoCAD 2007

Export as wmf then import and explode. They become 2d polylines. Only closed objects extrude but you can use a 2d polyline as a source object to create a TABSURF with the thickness ie back ways being the direction vector. TABSURF is similar to extrude but creates surfaces.

Nick
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/80049703@N00/ http://mtbnick.fotopic.net/
    http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff241/dyNick_Scots/
    http://designgraphicsshowcase.blogspot.com/

High School Classroom - 21 AutoCAD 2007, Inventor 11, COREL Draw & Paint 11. Very Unreliable Network.

Home - AMD 2.1GHZ - 512Ram, 64 Video,
    Laptop Inventor 7, Autocad 2004, Corel 11

dangermouse

Default EXPLODING TEXT AS GEOMETRY

HI,
    What im actually doing is creating a drawing on 2002,and writing text onto it ,then this text is machined on the component ,so text needs to be geometry not jst text,for those that have privete messaged me asking .

always smiling dangermouse

Using
    not applicable
    physicaly - Australia, mentaly - Another Planet

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

What we do in the signage industry is do the layout in coreldraw and export it out as .AI or .EPS

you have more control with the fonts,etc in corel.

We also use corel for the text and export it out as a .wmf>import it into cad as a .WMF>scale to suit>and then explode it.

we then can extrude it and render the text as 3D signage.
    if you follow the .wmf way, you can then export it out as a .Stl file
    which you can import into the cnc machine.

Hope this helps.

G