How do YOU draw Isometric Projections

Rickard5

Since I'm a very self taught Autocad operator so some times I do stuff that's not really "according to Hoyle" like today I needed to draw the section of a part, and I was having huge Problems with drawing it in 3D. I can draw it and section the part, but I can't apply a Hatch to one face showing only the materiel hatch on the section face, So I just drew it as a 2d isometric Drawing, Laying out everything as I would in a pen and ink Drawing. I'm really curious what you do when you have a requirement for an isometric Projection? is there an easyer way to make isometrics? especialy Section Isometrics?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rickard5

• tzframpton

• PS_Port

• Da Mac

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you can apply a hatch to a surface if the UCS is set correctly- so that the X-Y is on the surface.

And I would draw Isometrics simply because I can't draw Isometrics, too young to have learnt to draw that stuff :oops:

Richard,

Here is a quick one I had to do last week,

I use the TOOLS -> DRAFT SETTINGS (see pic)

Then `F5' to flip through the required iso sides, also ORTHO works in required plane as well.

Anyway I know this is old fashioned, (not 3D), but sometimes its just quicker (personal opinion).

There are times when an isometric is more than enough and I use them fairly often. If I know I won't need different views of it then I will draw an iso. I have been drawing them for a long time and so it is easy to do. There is a pretty good program for sale out there that can take a view and turn it into an iso for top, or side. You have to finish it from there but it definately speeds things up. I think it is about $80, if you are interested I can search my brain and try to remember where to get it.

Edit > http://www.lookingglassmicro.com/isocad.htm

it is $150 and will only work on one computer. Seems expensive, but if you need to do a lot of isos it is still worth it.

Thanks Guy's like I say I spent a long time working on a board before I got in to Autocad so I can and do still just plane 2D iso, thanks for the drafting settings tip PS PORT :) Richard that Looking Glass IsoCad looks kind of interesting, I'm thinking I'm going to go in tomorrow with my hat in my hand and make a case for the shop to buy me a copy :) I do do a LOT of Iso drawing from the point that about 1/2 of the Gorillas I work with only have minimal ability to visualize from plan views. A 10 min ISO drawing can save hours of shop time and LOTS of material! and let's be honest if you spend $8k on Autocad what's another $150 to save the ~$2/hr GUY 10 HOURS a week ?

I'm thinking my argument will be that I waste 1/2 my time doing ISO drawings for the Shop guy's so I'm going to STOP doing them, so I can spend more time on JOB Sales Illustrations. Concentrateing on Sales Drawings will bring more work in to the shop, and at the same time Just sit back and watch the SCRAP pile GROW and GROW :) :) :) :) untill I get that isocad

I used to draw 3D models, then rotate the object and snap the model for the iso look. Takes waaaaaaaaay too long. Now I'm an ISO king... :lol:

Once you get good at it there's almost no reason to go back to 3D. Especially if you draw things specific for your trade, just make sure to keep the really important ones for future reference. Also, build a library of things you use often. In my trade, I have tons of stuff from Unistrut to Allthread, Beams, Rooftop Units, Grilles, etc etc that I have made a Block Library of for easy access. This will take your editing time way down because you don't have to draw things from scratch anymore. :wink:

PS_Port hit the nail on the head for using the Isometric Snap. For a tip, remember this: To be good at drawing Iso means that you can do the same thing with Pencil & Paper. You honestly need to have the perspective in your mind to create good Iso drawings. Anyone can make a Iso of a box and label it, but to add in the minute details and perspective of certain parts where anyone who looks at it knows exactly what the picture represents is a whole different ballgame.

Styk, I real lucy %99.9995 of everything we do is on a flat plane or tubing, since we cut most everything on a laser or waterjet, basically like wootan metals. so there are not many times I have to do a lot of graceful compound curves, or heavy strange shapes. Although I did have to Draw a monocock for a Vintage Formula Vee Car. a lot of what I draw is showing how a flat cut part folds up, or how the chassis tubing will go together

Styk here's an example of what I draw alot, this is a chassis bases on the Low Cost 7 I've been working on building one for 3-4 years, I've almost got enough parts and tubing to start building the chassis. A little Lotus 7 Clone with a real fast Toyota 4age 156 valve motor is going to be a neat little daily driver, and the key is all junkyard parts :) and yes I know it's more a Diametric than an Isometric drawing :)

lowcostchassis.jpg

Richard, thats not a simple iso..:? , are you sure 3D wouldn't be more suited,

especially when it came to BOMs and steel detail drawings

I too am new to CAD. I have (I believe) drawn Iso and struggling to find how I can make the columns drawn "solid" I have been able to hatch the 2D footprint but unable to hatch any elevations or the same footprint at the top of the column. I have been able to copy the hatch and move the copy to the top of the column.

I am sure the drawing attached will convey more information than my ramblings.

I would aslo welcome your views on the drawing itself. ie has it been started correctly etc.

Perhaps I should hace started with a cube and worked the basics out on that. I was just not expecting an issue.

Thanks, Matt

0057-680-04-E-6400-6401-6402.dwg

Matt

I only have 2004 at home so I will have a look at tommorrow

However one thing to point out is isometric drawings are still 2D, they are just a visual trick to give the look of 3D, so hatching should be just the same as 2D. As long as there is a closed boundry then hatching should not be a problem.

Styk here's an example of what I draw alot, this is a chassis bases on the Low Cost 7 I've been working on building one for 3-4 years, I've almost got enough parts and tubing to start building the chassis. A little Lotus 7 Clone with a real fast Toyota 4age 156 valve motor is going to be a neat little daily driver, and the key is all junkyard parts :) and yes I know it's more a Diametric than an Isometric drawing :)

I have to agree with PS_Port on his comment. When you're doing projects such as this, Iso is not the best choice. Iso is good for visualization, and not necessarily accuracy. 3D is where you need to be for 100% accurate representation of your drawing.

:)

Styk, I agree I Draw a lot of 3D solids to "Test Fit", and "Pseudo assemble" different assemblies. But where I'm at right now is I have a hard time with shading a Part after I section a solid. Like if you were to take a gear solid Model and slice it how would you shade the face where you sliced it ? Ohh Hey I got this this morning thought it might give you a laugh :

YOU KNOW YOU'RE IN TEXAS WHEN..."

You no longer associate bridges (or rivers) with water.

You can say 110 degrees without fainting.

You eat hot chilies to cool your mouth off.

You can make instant sun tea.

You learn that a seat belt makes a pretty good branding iron.

When the temperature drops below 95, you feel a bit chilly.

You discover that in July, it takes only 2 fingers to drive your car.

You discover that you can get a sunburn through your car window.

You notice the best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.

Hot water now comes out of both taps.

It's noon in July, the kids are on summer vacation, and not one person is out on the streets.

You actually burn your hand opening the car door.

You break a sweat the instant you step outside and it's only 7:30 am.

No one would dream of putting vinyl upholstery in a car or not having air conditioning.

Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end up lying on the pavement and cook to death?"

You realize asphalt has a liquid state.

Styk, I agree I Draw a lot of 3D solids to "Test Fit", and "Pseudo assemble" different assemblies. But where I'm at right now is I have a hard time with shading a Part after I section a solid. Like if you were to take a gear solid Model and slice it how would you shade the face where you sliced it ? Ohh Hey I got this this morning thought it might give you a laugh :

YOU KNOW YOU'RE IN TEXAS WHEN..."

You no longer associate bridges (or rivers) with water.

You can say 110 degrees without fainting.

You eat hot chilies to cool your mouth off.

You can make instant sun tea.

You learn that a seat belt makes a pretty good branding iron.

When the temperature drops below 95, you feel a bit chilly.

You discover that in July, it takes only 2 fingers to drive your car.

You discover that you can get a sunburn through your car window.

You notice the best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.

Hot water now comes out of both taps.

It's noon in July, the kids are on summer vacation, and not one person is out on the streets.

You actually burn your hand opening the car door.

You break a sweat the instant you step outside and it's only 7:30 am.

No one would dream of putting vinyl upholstery in a car or not having air conditioning.

Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end up lying on the pavement and cook to death?"

You realize asphalt has a liquid state.

:lol:

Every single one of those are true in Texas. haha, You're not from Texas are ya??

:lol:

Every single one of those are true in Texas. haha, You're not from Texas are ya??

Well Could BE :)

It's gona be so hot IN TEXAS TODAY THAT..." The birds have to use pot holders to pull worms out of the ground.

The potatoes cook underground and all you have to do to have lunch is to pull one out and add butter, salt and pepper.

Farmers are feeding their chickens crushed ice to keep them from laying hard-boiled eggs.

Any how I did this "QUICK SKETCH" and yes the Gear Pitches are not right I did not spend the time to do the math. but this might illustrate some of the problems I'm having with solid models

gearexample.jpg

Drawing the model is not the problem as much as getting the right Shading/ Hatch. I can draw Solids Fast and easy

Skype, I'm Ashamed to say this, but you know my sister married a Yankee, Momma and Daddy are all broke up about it. Worse thing they thought she'd do is work in a Brothel, But NOOOOOO she had to shame her whole Family by marrying a Yankee any how a few years back I found his Moving Diary. Here it is :)

May 30th

Just moved to Texas. Now this is a state that knows how to live! Beautiful, sunny days and warm, balmy evenings. Mountains and deserts blended together. What a place! Watched the sunset from a park lying on a blanket. It was Beautiful. I've finally found my home. I love it here.

June 14th

Really heating up. Got to 100 today. Not a problem. Live in an air-conditioned home, drive an air-conditioned car. What a pleasure to see the sun every day like this. I'm turning into a real sunworshipper.

June 30th

Had the backyard landscaped with western plants today. Lots of cactus and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing for me. Another scorcher today, but I love it here.

July 10th

The temparture hasn't been below 100 degrees all week. How do people get used to this kind of heat? Too bad it's not a dry heat. Getting used to it is taking longer than I expected.

July 15th

Fell asleep by the pool. Got third-degree burns over 60% of my body. Missed two days of work, what a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though: got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this.

July 20th

I missed Tabby (our cat) sneaking into the car when I left this morning. By the time I got out to the hot car for lunch, Tabby had swollen up to the size of a shopping bag and exploded all over $2,000 worth of leather upholstery. The car now smells like Kibbles and pupe. No more pets in this heat!

July 25th

Dry heat, my rear end. Hot is hot! The home air conditioner is on the fritz, and the AC repairman charged $200 just to drive by and tell me he needed to order the parts.

July 30th

Been sleeping outside by the pool for three nights now. Fifteen hundred dollars in dog gone house payments and we can't even go inside. Why did I ever come here?

August 4th

One hundred and fifteen degrees. Finally got the air conditioner fixed today. It cost $500 and gets the temperature down to about 90 degrees. I hate this state.

August 8th

If another wise cracks, "Hot enough for you today?" I'm going to tear his throat out. Dad Gum heat. By the time I get to work the radiator is boiling over, my clothes are soaking wet, and I smell like roasted Garfield!

August 10th

The weather report might as well be a recording: Hot and sunny. It's been too hot for two months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. Doesn't it ever rain in this barren desert? Water rationing has been in effect all summer, so $1,700 worth of cactus just dried up and blew into the pool! Even a cactus can't live in this heat.

August 14th

Welcome to He!!! Temperature got to 123 today. Forgot to crack the window and blew the windshield out of the Lincoln. The installer came to fix it and asked "Hot enough for you today?" My wife had to spend the $1,500 house payment to bail me out of jail.

August 30th

Worst day of the summer. I'm not leaving the house. The monsoon rains finally came and all they did was make it muggier than all get out. The Lincoln is now floating somewhere in Mexico with its new $500 windshield.

Any how I did this "QUICK SKETCH" and yes the Gear Pitches are not right I did not spend the time to do the math. but this might illustrate some of the problems I'm having with solid models

gearexample.jpg

Try using the FLATSHOT command. :)