Drawings and Fillets

Toolish

A lot of the parts I model are plates that are not square and have filleted edges. I am trying to work out how to get the dimension that would be to the straight edge before the part was filleted.

I have attached a section of the drawing. How can I get a dimension on the drawing showing that top red line length.

thanks

problem.JPG

OPC, I believe he's asking how to dimension the intersection of the two lines that were filleted and not the radius of the fillet itself.

I'm assuming you're dimensioning a sketch in a part file and not dimensioning an Inventor dwg file.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just looked at your picture again. That's a drawing...

Okay, select one of the two lines you want to dimension, and then right click the other line and select "Intersection". You'll see that when you mouse over the second line, a point will appear to select and dimension from.

It's quite simple, just add the dimension you want BEFORE you make your fillet. Then, when you fillet that corner, the dimension will stay and you'll see that point was created to represent the apex of those two lines.

Yes it does snap to a intersection point, but you have to click in the right order, as WagglyFawn said you Right mouse click the second line and select intersection THEN read the bottom left of the screen and it tell you what to do next, just select the bottom point of the line then you have the dimension he wants.

• 1 year later...
A lot of the parts I model are plates that are not square and have filleted edges. I am trying to work out how to get the dimension that would be to the straight edge before the part was filleted.

I have attached a section of the drawing. How can I get a dimension on the drawing showing that top red line length.

thanks

Use Retrieve Button in Dimension Menu, Then Select view -> Select Dimensions, So inventor Display All Reference Dimensions use to Make 3D Object. Then Select Dimensions you want. Then Ok.

• 3 years later...

mode2.jpg[/ATTACH]

I can't do this trick. Is there anyone could explain this ? I've tried this trick in sketch mode (mode2) and in default drawing mode (mode1) but it didn't work.

mode1.jpg

Hi,

What you can do is drawing a sketch in the IDW and then add the dimention as shown in these picture:

sbv7.png

eq.png

I had tried that trick before I go to this thread. It would be okay for simple drawing. This is plastic product for injection moulding, therefore it has a huge number of angle with fillet.

Any other idea ?