Unable to select viewport

wsucad

We have a drawing with multiple layouts and active viewports in them. For some reason we are unable to select some of the viewports so that we can resize them. we can see them we just can not select them. I do not see any settings that would affect this. Anyone have any ideas???

I checked to make sure the layers are all on and thawed - i am not able to see if the viewport is locked since I can not select it

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobDraw

• wsucad

• cpriedel

• Cubes CDS

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like your viewports are locked. Right click a VP or see the properties and you will get a lock/unlock option.

Hope this helps

Do you see the VP Border and just can not select it or is only the VP visible? Did you try REGEN? Did you try to close and reopen it? Did you AUDIT and PURGE?

WE can see the VP Border and we can not select it.

REGEN did nothing

Closed and reopened multiple times - even opened it in 2009 and saved it back down to 2006

Audit found no errors

Purge found noting

UGH!!!!

If objects are on the Defpoints layer (so they wont plot) and Layer 0 is off and/or frozen, then those objects will be unselectable.

mhhh... only quick solution i have is to make a new VP and use the MATCH PROPERTY tool on it to get the properties of the old 1 transferred (not sure if you can do it since you cant select the old VP, I guess it worth a shot). Wired thing too that its only for some VP as you said and not on all of them.

i have no idea how, but this worked

i selected all layers and toggled them on/off frozen/thawed locked/unlocked and then i was able to select the viewport - even though all layers were thawed, on and unlocked to begin with

I've had this happen several times; it's the damndest thing. If you hover over it, nothing happens. You can't select it. I'll draw it on Defpoints; which may be on, thawed, I can do anything with any other object on every other layer, but the VP is like a ghost. I know EXACTLY what you're talking about.

I have yet to discover why this happens or how to fix it. I can only assume that there's some system variable. Probably something like VPFRUSTRATOR or something along those lines. Sometimes, if I do a saveas, for whatever reason, in the new drawing, the VP is selectable again.

who knows?

I have had this happen before. What I did was enter a viewport that I could select and then hit CTRL+R to toggle through the viewports. When it entered the one that I couldn't select I double clicked out of it and it was selectable.....wierdest thing.

Just open the Layer Manager and go to viewport or look for layers who is frozen then click it to unfreez it then go back to your paperspace then you 'll see the viewport right away.

I've had this happen several times; it's the damndest thing. If you hover over it, nothing happens. You can't select it. I'll draw it on Defpoints; which may be on, thawed, I can do anything with any other object on every other layer, but the VP is like a ghost. I know EXACTLY what you're talking about.

I have yet to discover why this happens or how to fix it. I can only assume that there's some system variable. Probably something like VPFRUSTRATOR or something along those lines. Sometimes, if I do a saveas, for whatever reason, in the new drawing, the VP is selectable again.

who knows?

if you are using defpoint layer, as menetioned by SEANT above if layer 0 is off or freeze you can not select anything that is in defpoint layer. this has also been discuseD in detail here. if you search with keyword 'defpoint' , you shall find it.

I'm pretty CAD-savvy, short of writing lisps, but this one has stumped me on a few drawings. I know and use CTL-R quite a bit, and layers are the first thing I check. But it's so weird, I can run through my quick -la, o, *,t,*,*,u,* to do an all-layer on/thaw/unlock, and everything comes on accordingly, but the viewport will still not be selectable. I mean; I can CTL-R to get into the VP from the PS layout and make it active, but I still cannot select it as in changing it with grips; I can't make it wider/shorter, I can't move it to another position. I don't know if there's a system variable that permanently locks (with no method of reversing it) a VP, or if it's just a one-in-a-million-chance bug. It's only happened about 4 times that I can recall. I've always eventually got it working again soon after so it was never a major issue, but it still amazed/es me when it happens.

It reminds me of when I was 6 and accidentally flipped my eyelid not knowing what had happened, then for years, trying to make it happen again so I could understand it...

I eventually figured out how to flip them again (and scare the hell out of my little brothers), but I still wait for that magical moment when "There is no viewport (spoon; Matrix, yo)" happens.

I'm such a goober... lol

• 2 months later...

Dipali said something about relationship from layer defpoints and 0, I tried that and is correct, my layer 0 was off and no matter what I did viewport seems like a ghost, then settinh layer 0 on, wow, like magic, all viewports being selectable. Now I need to figure how relationsip is working (environment variable?, etc.9 whatever, vieport is working.

Thank you 8)

• 4 months later...

Unfortunately this didn't work for me. I have Acad 2009 lite. I still am unable to select the viewport. I therefore made more viewports within the vp. I can cntrl R to move around but cannot select any VP. I can enter the drawing via Cntrl R but double clicking inside VP does nothing. I have spent almost an entire afternoon on this.

Unfortunately this didn't work for me. I have Acad 2009 lite. I still am unable to select the viewport. I therefore made more viewports within the vp. I can cntrl R to move around but cannot select any VP. I can enter the drawing via Cntrl R but double clicking inside VP does nothing. I have spent almost an entire afternoon on this.

if you have vp inside vp double clicking will try to go inside the first vp only, whcih you said were not working properly. so to check your new vp, slect the border & double click (it is maximised viewport option) and see if it lets you inside that vp or not. than you come back & give us more onfo on the first vp, so we can probably make it work also.

Btw, START A NEW THREAD NEXT TIME FOR YOUR QUESTION.

I think Kenny has the answer to the OP's question. I have noticed, [on 2008], anyway that if you create a VP within another VP you can scale and pan as normal until you exit out of that VP. Then trying to enter the VP again will only allow you to resize but not actually enter the VP to scale or pan through it.

You can solve this by moving the VP outside the boundries of the VP it resides in.

KC