Insert an Excel sheet into autocad

Sudhir

Hi

I have an excel sheet which contains tables of some calculations

i have copied it from excel to autocad. it was copied but the autocad has taken it as image

but i want it as editable or convert it into autocad means the table has to be editable in autocad

You should have "linked" the spreadsheet not copy it into a drawing. Follow the prompts in the Table creation Dialog box. The table can be found on the Draw toolbar, the Draw pulldown and the Dashboard.

Once the link has been established you'll find it works in either direction. Data links can include the entire spreadsheet, a single cell or even a range of cells.

• 6 months later...

Two-way links between AutoCAD and Excel were introduced in AutoCAD 2008 although I believe there were add-on programs that claimed to do this using earlier versions.

• 3 weeks later...

A 'FREE' way to do it...

I am sure thr r many ways to do this but here's what i can tell you:

1)In Excel: Copy cells you want in autocad

2)In Autocad: Paste special --> autocad entities; you should now get a "excel looking" table in autocad.

You can get effieient by linking this table to your Excel file, this way you would only have change you Orginal Excel file and Autocad would update (almost) automatically,

So after step 2, step 3) is select your data in autocad, by selecting ->ROW1COL1 then ->SHIFT KEY -> endROW endCOL-->RIGHT CLICK ->"LINK CELL/DATA LINK" Here you can select your range of data or select the whole excel sheet to show up in autocad. If you make any changes in Excel it will not update autocad (just yet). You have to go into Autocad Right click on any RowCol and goto DATA LINKS -> DOWNLOAD CHANGES FROM SOURCE FILE. Your autocad xcl sheet should now updat to match Excel sht.

Hi

I have an excel sheet which contains tables of some calculations

i have copied it from excel to autocad. it was copied but the autocad has taken it as image

but i want it as editable or convert it into autocad means the table has to be editable in autocad

• 2 years later...

hi,

i found this trick to be extremely useful, i did it using the data link command. sort of created an external refrence, if the excel sheet changed i can update that in autocad in a single click. Can i bind permanently this sheet in autocad? just like we bind xref dwg files. ?

I had some experience with this process recently so allow me to put in my 2 cents worth here.

The process can be done at no charge using the tools you have in AutoCAD and MS Office. The process can be messy though and so 3rd party software which can assist in this is worth looking at.

I found that bringing the Excel table into AutoCAD is easier if you strip the table down to just the bare essentials. If you have lots of things in the table like merged cells, extra columns, etc....it will make formatting or making it look good in AutoCAD a nightmare. This is where the 3rd party add-ons seem to offer help. I tried one of the trial versions but it was way too limited and I was not about to pay $$$ to test something out. Perhaps I can try another option from another 3rd party vendor later.

My success came when I took the very complicated table the engineering team created and reduced it to only 3 columns it was quite easy to get it into AutoCAD and make it look like it belonged in the drawing, not a pasted in OLE object. Plus it can be updated when the Excel file is updated, etc....

I will certainly look to expand my capabilities with the built-in tools. But my first experience with this process shows it to be slow and cumbersome, even if you know what you're doing. There were times when it took the DataLink manager about 3 minutes to respond. I thought AutoCAD had locked up but the task manager showed it was still working and responding. Still the DataLink manager windows were just sitting there for what seemed like hours. It takes patience to get it done.

I used to use the "paste special" technique but switched to the DataLink method when it was first introduced and never went back. I've used the method now about a dozen times. Our spreadsheets do not tend to be complicated so that probably explains why the method has been so successful for us anyway.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Guys

I´m looking for a little help here to see if this is even possible.

Basically the company I am working for at the moment produces all its drawings in one of 3 languages. Sometimes its english other times spanish etc. Presently we do the translation and manually update the drawings with the name changes.

However I think I saw somewhere that we make an excel file, with the names of each part in English in one sheet, in another sheetthe same parts but in another language (obviously the part in Sheet1A1 would be the same part as Sheet2A1 etc). We could link this sheet to autocad and when we needed the drawing in a different language, we could just change the linked sheet to the one we want.

However we are not looking for a table so the simple data linking does not work. We want to have the names of the parts where they are in the drawing. For example the part in A1 could be on the top left hand side of the drawing, while the part in A2 could be on the bottom right. Is there a way we can bring in individual cells from the file but still be able to change the values of them all in 1 go?

Thanks in Advance

Regards

Ian

We use AutoTable with great results. We're very happy with it.

You can link any selection of the Excel file into the DWG; including linking different selections of the same .xls file into the same DWG. Updating is as simple as clicking the "Update AutoTable" button, then selecting all the tables you want updated and hit Enter. it then updates the tables straight from the .xls file.

• 1 month later...

I do this all the time with Panel Schedules

1. Copy the Excel to your clipboard (highlight and right click)

2. Insert it into your drawing, I use Paste Icon in Toolbar

3. Select the outline of the Excel

4. Right click, select OLE, then OPEN

5. You can edit from here, remember to save.

If, however, you change the physical size of the columns, rows etc., you must reinsert using copy.

Also, if you go directly into the Excel file and make edits - it will not automatically update the AutoCAD file. You must edit thru AutoCAD. SOme engineers frown on this.

I have done it this way with several versions and not had a prob.

• 1 month later...

I need to import text from a Excel spreadsheet to Acad. I have a drawing of 1X2 boxes (11 across and 11 high) containing 4 lines of text. TEXT1....TEXT4. The text that I need to import from Excel are in 4 colums. Each colum is named TEXT1, TEXT2, TEXT3, TEXT4 which has the text needed in the Acad boxes.

So, I don't actually need the spreadsheet, I just need the data in each cell pasted in the boxes. I hope I am explaining it clearly enough.