Cant make a domed cap with Modelling, loft command

spursnutter

I have been trying for ages to make a domed cap for a bollard and can only think of using the loft tool but it doesn;t work. What am I doing wrong?

The base diameter is 141.3mm and I want to creat a nice dome that is 10mm in height.

Circular or semi-elliptical? Either way, loft wouldn't be my first choice.

If circular have you considered using Revsurf?

Revsurf, also known as a Revolved Surface, is used to create a complex surfaces by revolving a shape about an axis. Example: revolve an arc 360 deg to form a lamp shade.

Other commands for creating surfaces include Tabsurf, Edgesurf and Rulesurf. I think you can also use Sweep. If you Sweep an open curve along a path, the result is a surface.

I need it at the height i had on mine but i want to do away with the jagged edges

it could do with it being done out 2mm steel press into a dome

I doubt anyone will see the "jagged edges". Mesh density for a surface can be controlled using the variables Surftab1 and Surftab2. The default values for both are set at 6. Surftab1 controls the number of mesh columns while Surftab2 controls the number of mesh rows.

By the way, on your example it looks like you revolved a full arc (from quadrant to quadrant on the circle). You could have used just one half of that arc. No matter I suppose as long as it gives you the intended results.

whats revsurf?

Forget revsurf, Tabsurf, Edgesurf and Rulesurf. Those are obsolete commands.

Here is your part as a 2mm pressed plate solid.

Add the weld bead and polish.

You might want to go through the tutorials in my signature.

Domed bollard.zip

Forget revsurf, Tabsurf, Edgesurf and Rulesurf. Those are obsolete commands.

Here is your part as a 2mm pressed plate solid.

Add the weld bead and polish.

You might want to go through the tutorials in my signature.

Can you explain as to how you did it. I am grateful that you have done it for me but I would like to know for future reference.

Can you explain as to how you did it. I am grateful that you have done it for me but I would like to know for future reference.

Did you do the tutorials I suggested?

i would have simply drawn half of the bollard in section, turn it into a pline, then use the revolve command...and if the sections is closed it will be a solid...if open, it will be a mesh...

i don't know but it looks pretty circular to me. All I did was set the facetres to a value of 10, shaded it, and it all looks good to me. try reinstating the profile after setting your surftab1 and surftab2 to = 25. This will smooth the facets further but take more memory. You can also polyedit and select smooth to smooth it further.