Surfboard

Guest GCSurfer

Guest GCSurfer

I haven't used cad in about 6 years and I just got cad04 on my pc. My question is: I've teamed up with a friend who shapes his own surfboards. I was wondering how hard would it be to draw up a 3d map of a surfboard for a total new beginner? I'm still not familiar with all the terminology, so if I don't make any sense let me know. Basically I would like to draw up a 3d surfboard using his exact dimensions. If posting an example of the dimensions would help let me know.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hyposmurf

• erona

• BIGAL

• bretto88

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As youve used CAD before and we have no idea of your abilities Id say youd be a better judge of whether or not you can create the surfboard.Youre off to a good start though as alot of the members will do their best to hlp you.

Guest GCSurfer

Well honeslty it's been so long and cad has changed so much, I'm not sure where to start. I'm thinking I will go through the help menu and start from there. I was just wondering coming from someone with very little experience, if I'm over my head on this project.

Well have you ever used the 3D side of CAD?My own 3D knowledge is limited,so I wouldnt promise a 3D model of surfboard to friend in a short space of time.As you said keep looking at the help files and as above come back and ask questions,there are alot of knowledgable members on here who enjoy helping other members

Guest GCSurfer

Nope never have, and this is something we were just talking about and I thought it would be fun to give it a shot and see what we can do with it. But I'm going to start on it tonight and go from there, thanks for the help and I'm sure I'll be back.

Make the contour-line from the Bottom-view (take the dimensioned anchor-points and draw a spline or a polyline and spline it).

Extrude this contur to, say, 20.

Draw the side-view in the same way (as shown in your sketch).

Extrude the side-view-contour to, say, 50.

Rotate (ROTATE3D) the side-view-solid around the x-axis by -90

• 2 weeks later...

Darn! I used 1". Anyways, sorry it took me so long to reply but here is a simple how to do.

First, I inserted your images for a quick reference on the drawings area. Then, I did quick construction lines. I suggest that you use layers. Note that I added another 4" line at the rear end.

surf-02.gif

With another layer, I used SPLINE to create the first half profile.

surf-03.gif

MIRROR the half profile. I changed the rear end line same with the profile.

surf-04.gif

Use REGION command and select the profile to create a single loop.

surf-05.gif

Now, create the side profile just beside the plan.

surf-06.gif

Connect the ends with SPLINE.

surf-09.gif

Use OFFSET and enter the thickness desired. (I used 1" here) :oops:

surf-10.gif

Connect both ends with a line.

surf-11.gif

Again, use REGION and select the finished profile.

surf-12.gif

Switch to SE view via View>3D Views>SE Isometric. Type UCS, then N for New, then Y, accept the default value (90) and finally Enter to finish the command. This will rotate your crosshair in order to rotate the side profile in place.

surf-14.gif

Now, ROTATE the side profile 90 degrees and pick the bottom midpoint as your point of rotation.

surf-15.gif

You should now have something like this.

surf-16.gif

EXTRUDE the top and input 8. Then the side and input 30. The solids should be intersecting like this.

surf-17.gif

Type SHADE to check, then Undo.

surf-18.gif

Now use INTERSECT and pick both solids. Your 3D surfboard is almost done.

surf-19.gif

Finally, use FILLET command to soften the edges. Type FILLET then pick an edge on top. Since the thickness of the board is 3", enter 1 as the fillet radius. Type "C" for Chain then hit enter in the options that follow. Now pick the edges that are adjacent with the first one you picked. Do the same on the bottom edges.

surf-21.gif

Use 3DORBIT to view your board in all directions dynamically. After applying some materials, adding some lights and attaching to a photo.

surfboard.jpg

Guest GCSurfer

Erona great work! Thanks alot. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I'm sure I might have a question or two I may ask you, just a warning.

@ CADTutor - Thank you Master! :P (hmm... I think I should start collecting my gold stars :D )

@ GSurfer - Thanks to you too. Its my priviledge to help since I also get them myself. No prob about your questions, I would want to hear them. I was afraid my little tut may be a little confusing.

I realized I have been underestimating the possibilities of INTERSECT, it's actually the command I should've been using a lot lately.

Thanks, Erona, the tutorial is invincible!

• 8 years later...

Hey guys,

If anyone has any CAD models of surfboard fins, jsut the fin, could you attach them? im trying to find some and getting nowhere.

Cheers

Brett

Try looking over at the CAD Block Exchange Network for the CADforum. You'll find lots of drawings of all kinds of objects free for downloading.

Better yet...create one yourself. No time like the present to learn new things and challenge yourself in the process.

Only one problem, I like the method though a surfboard is not flat in cross section. Thinking a bit more need to make a crosssection some how that is subtracted from the shape. Maybe a pline along a 3d path of the edge of the board.

Reason being, hollow timber boards are the current rage and I need cross sections for templates there was an article in a magazine recently and it showed a board under construction..

The alternative is to use aircraft airfoil or boat hull design software to create the shapes thats where a lot of guys start.