Font Outlined - WANTED: Filled - Arrgh.

beauXjames

The Case:

In the image below, you see that I've got a font that is displaying in outline format. I don't want this to be the case, yet the only way the font does print to filled is when it is in 2D Wireframe display mode. Text --> Arial. Working in CAD 08.

The Odd Situation:

I have my FILL set to ON, my TEXTFILL to 1, and my FILLMODE to 1.

Well, that didn't help, so I then tried the following:

I created a layout with 2 viewports.

The first viewport contains the model (the dims are frozen). This is in 3D Hidden.

The second viewport lays directly over the first and I hide my model, show the dims, and set this to 2D Wireframe, which usually plots the filled text.

This also doesn't work.

I know I can get this effect in Inventor, and I've even done 3D dims in TurboCAD with great results. But I can't seem to figure out how to get a good display font to plot filled. A brief look is below, but if any of you have any insight on getting dims to plot nicely in CAD, it would be a big help.

thanks!

attachment.php?attachmentid=6889&stc=1&d=1218335652

snubber_fontIssue.jpg

Yes, both DTEXT and MTEXT objects are rendered the same.

I have been experiencing so many different odd bugs in 2008. Most of them directly related to memory issues that end in files being corrupt. I teach this topic and am getting really frustrated with Autodesk and their ability to upgrade before flushing out the previous issues.

and am getting really frustrated with Autodesk and their ability to upgrade before flushing out the previous issues.
and its not getting better with their insistence of a new release EVERY year. Release dates seem to be getting closer together.

Back to your problem, does this still happen with other fonts? (All fonts? All arial series fonts?)

I did...of the serif and san-serif type...every pun intended. I looked into the shx fonts, which are purely linear. They work, but they just don't have a nice final output, and the only way to get them to show up as a little thicker is to increase the lineweight of the layer, which is then applied to the dim/extension lines they are attached to. Bags!

shx fonts are just lines. bold.shx is made up of quite a few so with a bit of width will fill in. ttf fonts are shapes so will keep their form as you enlarge them - you should definitely be using ttf fonts for wht you want. As for why it isn't working - I have no idea.

could this be an issue of the dim/text created on a diffrent ucs that is not coplanar to the current one?..i've seen this before on plines and dimensions ticks but i never used an arial font for a dim text to see if it "outlines" that too...

This is fuzzy at best, but it has something to do with the fact that you are in 3d if I remember correctly. I has this problem with plines as well. I do not know a work around except to dimension in paperspace.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24254

I have a similar problem. Certain text styles will show up the same way that you have it in a 'hidden' viewport. The only solution that I have come up with is dimensioning in Paperspace. Though I do not think this will solve your problem dimensioning you Iso views.

--You may try using SOLVIEW/SOLDRAW views to solve some of your issues.