How do you Search Multiple Cad Drawings for Text

FTBPrimeEvil

I have multiple cad drawings (300 *dwg's)that need some items changed, is there a way to seach multiple cad drawing in my project for specific instances of text in each drawing?:?

Do the drawings have to be open?

Can you seach just thru the project with out opening each drawing, how does this work?

Thank YOU in advance!

I think you can use Windows search using the option 'A word or phrase in the file:'
I don't think this works any more. The dwg compression means that text is not easily found.

I am hoping what I write below makes sense.

You can easily open 300 dwg's using a script, that script would then run either a lisp or vba to make the text changes then save and close dwg.

eg

open dwg1 (load "findmytext") close y

open dwg2 (load "findmytext") close y

etc

A couple of hints if you use the command mode (click start button lower left of screen) you can get to your drawing directory then do DIR *.dwg >mylist exit command mode

Using word or notepad you can edit the file mylist to create your script. you need to know a bit about navigating directories the old DOS way. I am sure though if you search there is code here to do dwg lists.

I am pretty sure I asked here previously about using "find" within scripts and did not get an answer hence suggested lisp or vba.

Some one may know a way to do "find"

Just in finishing I have left out about the gotchas like a directory with spaces in the name will not work you need some VBA to get around that.

here is an example of making slides

Filedia 0
open S:\AUTODESK\BLOCKS\AMBULANCe\ambalance_access.dwg zoom extents zoom 0.9x mslide ambalance_access
open S:\AUTODESK\BLOCKS\AMBULANCe\ambalance_access_side.dwg zoom extents zoom 0.9x mslide ambalance_access_side
open S:\AUTODESK\BLOCKS\AMBULANCe\ambalance_access_side1.dwg zoom extents zoom 0.9x mslide ambalance_access_side1
open S:\AUTODESK\BLOCKS\AMBULANCe\ambalance_perspective.dwg zoom extents zoom 0.9x mslide ambalance_perspective
open S:\AUTODESK\BLOCKS\AMBULANCe\ambo zoom extents zoom 0.9x mslide ambo
open S:\AUTODESK\BLOCKS\AMBULANCe\Ambulance.dwg zoom extents zoom 0.9x mslide Ambulance
filedia 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I wrote a LSP a few years ago in which you put a bunch of find and replace strings into a txt file then you can add the lsp to your startup suite and essentially do a batch find and replace on as many drawings as you want. If you are interested I could send it to you and give you a brief explaination of how to use it.

Regards,

Erik

I have multiple cad drawings (300 *dwg's)that need some items changed, is there a way to seach multiple cad drawing in my project for specific instances of text in each drawing?

ToolPac includes a search and replace tool that will operate on any number of drawings.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
Hi there,

I wrote a LSP a few years ago in which you put a bunch of find and replace strings into a txt file then you can add the lsp to your startup suite and essentially do a batch find and replace on as many drawings as you want. If you are interested I could send it to you and give you a brief explaination of how to use it.

Regards,

Erik

plzz send this code for me

• 4 weeks later...

I have a written small utility provided as a stand alone exe file which allows you to search multiple drawing files for a specific occurrence of any specified text. The program returns a list off all drawings containg the specified text. Utility can also search accross network folders & drives.

The utility requires AutoCAD to be installed on the client PC or on the network to be searched. No setup required can be run directly from a USB.

If anyone interested please email me at andy_a_graham@hotmail.com

• 8 months later...
I have a written small utility provided as a stand alone exe file which allows you to search multiple drawing files for a specific occurrence of any specified text. The program returns a list off all drawings containg the specified text. Utility can also search accross network folders & drives.

The utility requires AutoCAD to be installed on the client PC or on the network to be searched. No setup required can be run directly from a USB.

If anyone interested please email me at andy_a_graham@hotmail.com

** I have now updated the above utility to include a 'Search & Replace' function on the text within AutoCAD drawing files **