Need some help with Trimming

didko

I need a solution for the following problem: If I have a line, and a few rectangles crossing it, is there a command which can remove the line portions, which are contained in the reactangulars. Here's a snapshot of the things I'm trying to explain:

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/6726/exmplkk8.jpg

Just to add - I need to do multiple trimming with one command. Clicking inside every single rectangle is not a solution :huh:

EDIT: I corrected your link as it was broken

Yes it works fine, but I need to trim out the line inside all the rectangles with less clicks, because on my project i have a line which is crossing... hmm about 200 rectangles and need to trim it. I know it can be done with array but I was wondering if there's a command similar to trim that can do the job.

My bad, not reading the question correct, I understand now you do not want to click every line one at a time, I think you need lisp to carry this one out.

if the rectangles are plines, you could use extrim (bonus tool, i mean express). just pick the pline, then pick inside the rec. and on to the next.

i'll look at extrim tomorrow and see if i can modify it to allow you to select multiples and just set to trim inside of closed objects, if time permits.

if the rectangles are plines, you could use extrim (bonus tool, i mean express). just pick the pline, then pick inside the rec. and on to the next.

i'll look at extrim tomorrow and see if i can modify it to allow you to select multiples and just set to trim inside of closed objects, if time permits.

I tried the extrim command before but it nothing happens when I select the rectangle and click inside of it, althought it's a pline :geek:

I dont know of anyway of doing what your asking quickly with out writing a lisp routine... You could always just do a quick fix and use a wipeout on all the rectangles....the complete line will still be there but wont show through the rectangles..

Thats just a quick fix in case you neet to print it asap or something..

• 13 years later...

Bob27T... last visited 2010.. might not be visiting in a hurry...

It should be possible, if you search online there are LISPs out there that ill get you the corners of a rectangle, get them and replace P1 and P3 in the relevant part of the code and that should work.. Look for the part ";-CHOP WITH WINDOW" for P1 and P3,  then after the ((= P1 "W") line put in the select rectangle and get points P1 and P3 code from the internet and it should work.

however it is Sunday here, and CAD is off, so I can give you tips but not try anything for you