Distance Calculation

jose_john

Dear Friends

We have two points loacted at N 32343262 /E 767710 & N 3233446 / E 768238 (dimensions in mm scale 1:2500)

May I know what will be the exact distance(mm) between those points,mathematical derivation will be useful

Regards

Jose

Looking at the coordinates, I would hazard a guess that they were coordinates from a UTM zone. In this case they are mapping coordinates, and the DIST command gives a straight line map distance between them, which would not be the same as the distance along the ground because of scale factors.

If you google UTM distances, you would be sure to find all sorts of helpful sites to calculate the distance using the appropriate geometry. :)

P.S. I have just counted up the number of digits in the Northing coordinates and the two do not match, which I would have expected them to do. Also the number of digits would lead me to assume that the coordinates are in metres (the scale is of no consequence when you need to know the distance). If however your coordinates are truly in millimetres, then please ignore my waffling and go with Tiger's suggestion. :?

You can enter a line in Autocad between those co-ordinates.

type (line)

then type, (32433262,767710,0) enter, enter (32333446,768238,0)

then measure the line.

It's like your adding an x,y,z for where your starting the line and then finishing the line.

Looks like co-ords are in meters by the way, so will have to either scale line by 1000 or multiply end result by 1000 to get distance in millimeters

Sorry, I was just about to go to bed when it occured to me I had said press enter twice in between entering of co-ords.

Just hit entre once, or you'll exit line command.

Also don't add @ before entering just type as written, sperated by commas.