Splitting a Solid in 3ds

cadboi08

Hey

I have a solid that I want to split or cut into multiple parts along a vertical plane in 3ds max.

How would I do this?

Thanks

Also, can you do this with grouped objects?

I have tried slice, but it seems like I have to choose which part I want to keep and lose the other part. I want to keep both parts but just separate them to make 2 new objects. Thanks

There are probably many different ways to accomplish this, and based on your object, some ways may be better than others. But here's an easy way to split a box up into 3 equal pieces.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-5.jpg

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you very much cad64. I'll give it a shot soon.

Btw. How would I go about splitting a group of objects up? They are not equal, I want to split each part to certain lengths?

If you could tell me the modifier or command/tool or whatever and I'll look into it. Thank you

I can think of several different ways to do this, but one way would be to use a Boolean operation. You will first need to Ungroup the objects and then "Attach" them. You will "Detach" them after the Boolean. (Don't Attach the Planes).

After you Attach all the blue parts, switch to Compound Objects, select Boolean, make sure "Subtraction (A-B)" is selected, click "Pick Operand B" and then select one of the planes.

Now right click, select "Convert To" and then click "Convert to Editable Poly".

Repeat the Boolean procedure and select the other plane. Then "Convert to Editable Poly" again.

You can now select the Polys for each section and Detach them so you can separate them. Then just switch to Boundary selection mode and cap the open Boundaries for each piece as I discussed in my previous post.

Step-1.jpg

Step-2.jpg

Step-3.jpg