Cad Handbook!

Pineapple

Alright, after about a year of employment at my current job.. I've finally caught enough time to sit down and put some of our company CAD standards on paper! This is something I've been pushing for in our company, but being as though I'm the only drafter it's been constantly put on the back burner.

I've been working on this handbook for about the past week. I'm at the point now where I'd like some feedback on it. I know StykFacE has been asking for a Cad Handbook example, so I hope this helps:) This is the first time I've ever really done anything like this, so feedback is REALLY REALLY welcome.

Most of the standards outlined in this book are pretty company specific, and have been extrapolated from years of existing drawings. Our office mainly produces shop drawings for our products. The purpose of this handbook is to simply put down on paper our standard practices.

Anyway, let me know what you think. Also, FAKEstudio is indeed FAKE!

manul.pdf

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• leongtechno

• Pineapple

• MSasu

• ReMark

Clear and concise but did you leave something out? I didn't see anything about standard scales, symbols or blocks. Was that intentional? Just curious.

No no, those are all definitely on my list. Along with standard hatches, abbreviations, symbols, and titleblocks... I'm sure I'll come up with some more! This is just what I have finished at the moment. As you can tell, I'm still workin on the Drawing Numbering page

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you! Unfortunately, my boss is strictly a "field guy", so he can't really appreciate the value of something like this. Oh well, it still makes my life easier and whether he realizes it or not, makes sure things go smoothly out there in "the field".

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice manual... i wish we can have the same manual/sop in our office...

can i use this as reference and proposed it to my BOSS for our OFFICE STANDARDS?

thanks in advance

can i use this as reference and proposed it to my BOSS for our OFFICE STANDARDS?
There's no greater compliment than that:) Feel free to use it! I'm still working on a few other pages. I'll post here once it's finished, but this should give you a nice start! Thanks

There's no greater compliment than that:) Feel free to use it! I'm still working on a few other pages. I'll post here once it's finished, but this should give you a nice start! Thanks

Very nice manual, straight to the point. lookin forward to your additions. im also writing one for our company at the moment, cant get to finish due to loads of work. ill post mine too if im done. :)

• 1 year later...

Very nice work Pineapple. I drafted a quick one up this week as well and figured it may be useful to some other folks out there. Definately not finishe and I need to work on the formatting a bit but its a start.

Technical Support Inc CAD STANDARDS.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
Well done on your manual, it must have taken some time to put together.

I hope your boss appreciates it. :)

Very nice, I did indulge and save a copy. Can't wait to see more! :wink:

Very nice work Pineapple. I drafted a quick one up this week as well and figured it may be useful to some other folks out there. Definately not finished and I need to work on the formatting a bit but its a start.

More nice standards work! Looking forward to the finished product! :wink:

Pineapple & todouble22

I like that you two put a small manual together and see that there some different in style. I feel I'm new at autocad and trying to some on my own at home. Have some standards to reveiw will help be a better drafter. Can not wait for the updates down the road. Thank you both for taking the time to do it.

Bruce

• 4 weeks later...

Good stuff guys. I have actually used ideas that I got from your manuals while creating mine. Mine is going to be a little more in depth because we use a 3rd party duct drafting software and we do a lot of Army Corp jobs so I want to "duplicate" a lot of the standards they use. I'll post as soon I can get a little further along.

Hope this thread keeps going.

This one is less CAD specific, and more of a drafting/engineering standard that covers a broader range, but I found it to be interesting and useful. My old job had to follow it for doing a project for NASA.

We initially didn't know about the requirements, (thanks to a sales team that didn't care, and just enjoyed commission, figuring we'd handle all that) and I just sent them our normal drawing sets, and LET ME TELL YOU.. the redlined prints we got back were staggering. I'd never had a client tell me my notes were in the wrong place?!, and they drew new titleblocks all over several pages and required us to use new naming conventions and all sorts of stuff.

It was two resubmissions before they even started looking at the design I'd come-up with:

http://mscweb.gsfc.nasa.gov/543web/files/GSFC-X-673-64-1F.pdf