gray scale xrefs vs. xrefs with full range of pen colours

corinne

Why do some xrefs come in to a drawing greyed out while others retain all the pen colours associated with their different layers? The latter situation is occurring even though I'm bringing the xref in on a layer to which a grey colour has been set.

When you bring in an xref it is going to come in with the colors that it was originally created with. Once xrefed in your drawing you can overided layers by going into your layer manager and selecting new colors for the xrefed layers..in order for the overrides to be kept this way you need to make sure that your varibale for VISRETAIN is set to 1 if it is set to 0 than the next time you open that drawing the layers for the xref are going to go back to the original colors.

Thanks. I actually need my xref to come in as colour 8 or some greyscale so that it is legible. I tried the command in your message but it was unknown by my AutoCAD Lt 2007.

Can you just go into the basefile (the one your using as an xref) and changle the colors for the layers to color 8..?

I was unaware that command isnt included in LT....seems strange that they would leave it out.