Fillet with zero radius.

bamaman83

I feel silly for posting this but I find it very useful and I hope someone else will to. If you have to trim or extend to make a corner, just set your fillet radius to zero and that will do the trick. I know most of you probably already know this, but I just found out and I think it is really going to save me a ton of time at my new job. I am almost embarrassed to say what I was doing in these situations. I also think that the chamfer command will do the same thing. Maybe this will help somebody.

I feel silly for posting this but I find it very useful and I hope someone else will to. If you have to trim or extend to make a corner, just set your fillet radius to zero and that will do the trick. I know most of you probably already know this, but I just found out and I think it is really going to save me a ton of time at my new job. I am almost embarrassed to say what I was doing in these situations. I also think that the chamfer command will do the same thing. Maybe this will help somebody.

To add to this tip, you don't even have to set the fillet radius to Zero - just hold Shift and pick your two lines and that defaults to Zero so you can retain your fillet radius. :)

• 3 weeks later...

StykFacE,

Thank you for adding that! I didnt know that shift does that when filleting...

Now how do i get back all the time that i have wasted setting the fillet, setting to 0, then resetting radius.... ugh :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Beauty - that's nice to know. Here's another one along the same vein - Trim and Extend Commands... Were you aware that if you use either of these, the Shift key will transpose the command?

Let me explain - You have the typical scenario where lines extend past a 'cutting' object and others that don't reach it and you want both sets to end at the cutting line. Once upon a time we had to use both the TRIM and EXTEND commands. In this example we'll use the TRIM command wherin normally we 'cut off' the longer lines, while still in the command, hold down the Shift key and select the shorter ones and they will extend to the line.

Now, you can use either command to handle both options in one command:D

• 4 weeks later...

Nice one,its going to be handy

cheers

Beauty - that's nice to know. Here's another one along the same vein - Trim and Extend Commands... Were you aware that if you use either of these, the Shift key will transpose the command?

Let me explain - You have the typical scenario where lines extend past a 'cutting' object and others that don't reach it and you want both sets to end at the cutting line. Once upon a time we had to use both the TRIM and EXTEND commands. In this example we'll use the TRIM command wherin normally we 'cut off' the longer lines, while still in the command, hold down the Shift key and select the shorter ones and they will extend to the line.

Now, you can use either command to handle both options in one command:D

• 1 month later...

In the CUI if you change the chamfer command to look like this:

^C^C_chamfer;u;

you won't have to select Multiple every time you want to use it. Works for fillet too.

I'm a lazy cadder and to me less is more.:)

• 2 months later...

..hi everyone.. im new to autocad commands but im willing to learn.. more hopefully.. can you tell me how to do the zero degree fillet.. one baby step at a time.. thanks for the effort... alot.. :)

If you hold SHIFT while filletting two parallel lines, it joins the two with an arc.

You do not need to hold SHIFT with Fillet for joining parallel lines with an arc. :D

• 1 month later...

I have this problem that all my polylines in my drawing in autocad are in a different hights (elevation), anybody knows how can i make them all flat ? i need it flat so that when i import the file from sketchup i'll have normal lines

thank u

• 2 months later...
I have this problem that all my polylines in my drawing in autocad are in a different hights (elevation), anybody knows how can i make them all flat ? i need it flat so that when i import the file from sketchup i'll have normal lines

thank u

The quickest way is to select them all when you're at the 'Command' prompt (i.e. get the Grips on them). Then go to the properties dialogue wherein it should say that elevation varies. Change that to 0 and they'll all drop back. If it is greyed out, one of the polylines probably isn't parallel to the current UCS - select a smaller group of Polylines and try again. Repeat until you find the culprit and deal with him seperately...

Hope that helps