• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Splitpin

• tzframpton

• Jacko93

• nett8

AutoCAD MEP is the front runner in high end piping programs. Inventor Professional has a pipe program that is impressive but has a very steep learning curve if you are from an AutoCAD background.

It is my understanding that AutoCAD MEP has a very large team of developers and a larger sales base than CADDuct.

Also try one of these well priced libraries for a cheaper alternative:

Pipework & Structural Steel http://www.3DCADMax.com

3D AutoCAD Pipework – [/font"]http://www.HerculeDesign.com

Or if you'd prefer 2D:

2D AutoCAD Pipework - http://www.3dcadmax.com/2DPipeFittingsAutoCAD.htm

Can anyone tell me what to buy and which is the better and easiest to use, I'm a HVAC draughtsman (Consultants) looking for a new 3d design package to go to, what i can see from the discussions is that CADDUCT is better and easier than Autocad MEP (Library, training, Bill of quantities etc.), any advice? I don't want to waste my workplaces money because i just started here.

regards

We use MEP as our acad base but, in addition, we've bought CadDuct since... neither is perfect but in CadDuct the parts catalogues are more up-to-date, the support is better & it's used more in the industry so it's easier to find people to use it. I believe it's cheaper too. We no longer use the MEP features.

I've got to buy one of the two, What program is the better one CADDUCT or MEP2009?

We are HVAC consultants that want a package thats easy to use and fast but good looking, that designs sizes and maby do equipment selections and lastly do coordination between services.

• 4 weeks later...

We tried both.. MEP2009 won due to lower upfront cost (We had to upgrade to 2009 anyway, so the "extra" for MEP was less than a AutoCAD 2009 package and CadPipe.

That said...

I have used InteliCAD, QuickPen 3D Pipe Designer, CadPipe, ACAD2008 MEP, and ACAD2009 MEP.

Hands down without question CADpipe is superior. Its libraries are better, its simpler to use, more intuitive. Uses BASIC AutoCAD move, copy, etc.. commands, etc.. They both have pluses and minuses, some things I like in MEP, and some in CADPipe.

but I find MEP is more congested, its overly complex wihtout any real need to be, libraries (Contrary to sales pitch) are limited..

What it comes down to is bugs, bugs and bugs.. 2008 and 2009 AutoCAD are loaded with them. From visual styles, the new "Display manager", etc. etc.. and other things that don't work or don't work well yet, fancy features that don't work or are limited in thier true functionality, etc.. etc.. AutoCAD 2008-2009 isnt worth the upgrade. Personally I think 2005-2007 was a simpler and better overall program. Mind you 2008-2009 features are cool and if they were to work as promoted it would be another story altogether. But they don't.

If you are currently running ACAD2005-2007 and have to upgrade to either CADPipe or ACAD2009 MEP.... Stick with 2005 and get CADPipe.

Also a HUGE thing to consider... IF you work with clients that are modeling in Tri-Forma/Bentley Building Systems and Microstation.. There is no question. Get CADPipe, Microstation opens up the CADPipe files like its native. No problems with translation at all.. this is as CADPipe uses solids, regions, etc.. and are all native AutoCAD entities. Simple basic Miscrostation can open the DWG Files created with CADPipe without a translator or spending a ton of time "converting" the file to something it can open.

ACAD2009 MEP uses thier "own" entities.. and is not friendly when trying to be converted to something Microstation can open. So if you have to share files with a Microstation user.. DO NOT get MEP.

Charles

CAD-Duct also has a CAM package that can export your drawing right into a duct shop's CAM program and get right to cutting materials. This is known as "Design to Fabrication". This would make your duct shop (or if you out source it) VERY happy, as they would not have to print the design, estimate it and make their own take-off.

There is a package like this for MEP, but it costs a lot. MEP can't export to a CAM package right out of the box. These are some other things to think about when getting a new duct package like this. :)

Thankyou for your advice, their is also a program named CAD-MEP based on CADDUCT but more for consultants we are looking into it - also much cheaper than the original CADDUCT

• 4 months later...

hi, i am very biggener in mep draughtsman feild can somebody tell me the meaning of (NC & VC ) this words i see when i try to use the software wich is using for SA grill & diffuser sizeing.and what is the velue i give in this two options if cfm is 545 please.

For a supply diffuser, NC usually stands for Noise Criteria. VC is unfamiliar with me, though I have a thought it might be Velocity Control. I'll ask my engineer when he gets back in the office, but NC for sure is Noise Criteria. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Autodesk are currently releasing AutoCAD MEP Fabrication, which will address almost every 'con' you have in your pros and cons list. The library is an ever expanding SQL server database, which has dedicated teams working on it to update world catalogues. There are many advantages to SQL servers, which I'm sure the more technically minded can guide you better on. But, from my understanding, you can use the existing database and implement your own fields, so that each and every peice of equipment you employ in your design can have a personalised company cost applied to it, site man hours and much much more.

Having used both MEP and CADduct, I would have to say that I personally prefer MEP, certainly with the new fabrication release. I work at the design end of the spectrum. I have found that to co-ordinate with CADduct, it can be a real pain with it's lack of connectivity when changing designs, sizes etc, it's 'designline' feature just doesn't cut it in my opinion. MEP has great connectivity, has a very flowing feel to it. Bills of materials have always been available on MEP, with just slight modification of the standard, 'out of the box' schedules. Fabrication just now takes it into the realm of the other end, with the capability to send info directy to the plasma table. Auto pipe spooling is another bonus (also can be done on CADduct). The spooling will create automatic BOM's, templates, tags, (auto dimensions coming soon). The SQL server means that any update to equipment is available instantaneously, without the need for update, so effectively can be updated indefinately between major releases.

However, the absolute swinger for me is. AutoCAD MEP Fabrication is 100% compatible with Revit. As I'm sure some of you will already be aware, Cadduct, at this moment in time, is not. We have alredy be asked by Architects as to whether we can work with their revit BIM. Of course, draw you own conclusions............. But I can't help but feel that with Autodesk themselves stepping into the fab market, the bell could be ringing for add-ons. I know that cadduct are taking action, but I'm not 100% sure that it involves AutoCAD as a base solution going forward.

I have to add that all the above is my own opinion and personal thoughts/findings.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

CADDuct is great, espically if you're wanting to use it on more than one licenced machine with AutoCAD already installed.

• 3 months later...
For a supply diffuser, NC usually stands for Noise Criteria. VC is unfamiliar with me, though I have a thought it might be Velocity Control. I'll ask my engineer when he gets back in the office, but NC for sure is Noise Criteria. :)

VC is Volume control i think.... like in a VCD (volume control damper)

• 1 month later...

"Autodesk are currently releasing AutoCAD MEP Fabrication"

I don't think this is a autodesk feature or product it is a third party add on unless autodesk bought it.

"Autodesk are currently releasing AutoCAD MEP Fabrication"

I don't think this is a autodesk feature or product it is a third party add on unless autodesk bought it.

AutoCAD MEP Fabrication is the only Fabrication software that has been designed specifically for AutoCAD, alongside their software designers for full integration with the product. It is not a thid party "add on" but rather an extended function of the MEP program. East Coast Cad were approached along with many other 3rd party suppliers and will be party to all future updates, even if support is removed for any current 3rd party users. When a software re-write is performed, like with the file compatibility of Acad 2010 and lower releases, MEP Fab has immediate compatibility, where as others have a delay due to the codes only being given to them after the release of the product.

• 2 weeks later...

The "generic" duct catalog that comes with AutoCAD MEP is just not suitable for design build applications. You cant change the length or offset of any fitting, and the rectangular mitered elbows are locked down to 2" throats for example. There are no flex connectors or miterd joints. You cant offset transitions beyond flat. Offsets are locked down to half of their width. Many common parts are missing from the stock catalog and most of them do not represent real world sizes. For accurate detailing and value engineering, you want to use real world parts to begin with, and you want adjustable lengths and offsets for your parts!

Downloading straight to the plasma cutter is not something most fab shops are willing to do unless the data was error checked and produced in-house. Ive seen it happen. One small mistake like entering the wrong pressure class and the machine will begin burning hundreds of holes in the metal for conduit stiffeners, or worse!

Manually entering work for the plasma cutter from numbered fabrication schedules is very efficient, especially when you are dealing with typical part numbers and quantities. One person can easily enter enough data to keep any plasma cutter busy all day before morning break, and you get that extra level of error proofing when another human stands between the data and the machine. Downloading fabrication information straight from the design is very cool, but it only saves a few hours of labor from one person, and it can be very risky.

Steven Micaletti

Virtual Mechanical

Design Build Software & Content For AutoCAD MEP

Edited by Tiger
removed adress