Deleting Layers

Aubrey86

I am setting up templates and trying to get our standard layers in line. Over time we have gained some extra layers from various drawings from other companies etc. We would like to set up a template with only our standard layers but I am having trouble getting rid of the extra ones. I have played around with the Purge command but it keeps telling me I cannot delete certain layers because they contain objects. In this particular drawing, the model space is empty and my layout has only a border as I am trying to make a template. I don't understand why I am unable to delete them. How are they in use?

While in model space, type 'select' enter, type 'all' enter.

If it comes back with a number of objects in model space, use 'erase' 'p' (for previous) enter.

You should be able to purge those items.

If it didn't clear those layers, there are other methods to use.

The 'select' 'all' 'erase' 'previous' usually does it though.

Thank you. When I do 'select' and 'all' it says 26 found - 6 were not in current space.

When I type 'erase' and 'p' it says "no previous selection set".

I did all the commands in a row, nothing in between.

LAYDEL does work in LT 2008, and is a powerful option for what you need.

I would start with just CTRL + A to select all and then hit DELETE. But if that is not working, then LAYDEL is your command.