Plot Scale Newbie !!!

TT83

Hello,

I am really not getting it,maybe because it is 1:32 in the morning or maybe because i am reading without experimenting on a plotter,well here it goes:

Let's say i am drawing in millimeters, so every unit should represent a millimeter,right ? OK now let's say i drew a line of 2000 units,this means in real life this is a 2 meter line since one unit is one millimeter,ok cool. Now I want to plot,if I choose a Plot Scale 1:1 what does that really mean ? does it mean that I will have a 2 meter line on my paper ? meaning it won't fit ? if i choose 1:500 that would mean what that 1mm = 500 unit meaning i will have a 4mm line on my paper ?

Really thx guys !

It is recommended that you draw in model space at full scale. Then move to layout, create a viewport, and assign the viewport a scale. When you are ready to plot you can go with the default plot scale 1:1 setting knowing that you already "scaled" the object in the viewport.

• 1 year later...

The viewport will have a scale assigned to it from the scalelist. If you have four viewports in your layout each one can have a different scale assigned to it if you want. AutoCAD will know how to plot it when the time comes. Remember that if you are printing/plotting from a layout it is always at a 1:1 scale.

Hello,

I am really not getting it,maybe because it is 1:32 in the morning or maybe because i am reading without experimenting on a plotter,well here it goes:

Let's say i am drawing in millimeters, so every unit should represent a millimeter,right ? OK now let's say i drew a line of 2000 units,this means in real life this is a 2 meter line since one unit is one millimeter,ok cool. Now I want to plot,if I choose a Plot Scale 1:1 what does that really mean ? does it mean that I will have a 2 meter line on my paper ? meaning it won't fit ? if i choose 1:500 that would mean what that 1mm = 500 unit meaning i will have a 4mm line on my paper ?

Really thx guys !

If plotting from modelspace yes, a 1:1 scale would give you a line of 2m in length. Ideally plotting should be done from a layout. A layout is set up to the size of paper you wish to plot to, i.e. A3 or A1.

A viewport is then created, through which you 'view' your objects in modelspace. It is this viewport in which the scale is set, as ReMark states above. Now, when you plot from a layout you plot at 1:1, because you've already set it up to the correct paper size, and the viewport is scaled to show the drawing at whatever scale you chose earlier.

Has this made things any clearer? Or have I just confused you further?

musab, take our word for it. As long as you have drawn the line full size (ex. - 2 meters) in modelspace and then switched to a layout, created a viewport and assigned it a scale, after you have printed the drawing out and taken an engineer's or architect's scale to it the line will "measure" correctly. AutoCAD is NOT going to try to print your line the actual "real world" length of 2 meters.