Autocad 09 install on windows Vista Error

shift1313

Hi all, ive been around autocad for about 12 years now so i have installed many different version, but recently i purchased a new computer running Vista and i cant seem to get 09 to install. I downloaded a trial version of 09 from the autodesk site to see if i want to upgrade at work and i get this error,

you cannot install this program on the current operating system

every error i have read relating to install errors have produced a number of different errors but none like mine.

any help is greatly appreciated

thanks

matt

home premium edition x64.

it did not give me an option when downloading but i also asked to be sent an installation dvd. ill check the website again.

I'd also recommend checking this website's AutoCAD FAQ > Getting Started > Hardware / Software Selection regarding specifications for running 2009.

i did check that. their faq section only mentions that it is compatible with vista and all the other installation error FAQs seem to be after install, not before like I am having. The day after i downloaded it, autodesk called me but at that point I hadnt tried to install it yet. Now I cannot find a free helpdesk to answer my question.

after download there are a few pdf files about installation but nothing related to this issue. I have a copy of 05 but doubt that will work with vista, but i may break down and give that a shot.

the fact that the error message doesnt say something like, you dont have priveledge to install this software, or something along those lines makes me think the issue is with a compatibility issue.

are any of you guys running 09 on windows vista premium x64?

I was referring more to the hardware aspect not so much the software. What are your computer specifications re: RAM and video card and CPU (AMD or Intel and which coprocessor by number)?

Here's something else that is usually overlooked. AC 2009 requires that you are running Internet Explorer 6.0 with Service Pack 1 (minimum) or later. If not, go to:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

im running an HP a6500f pentium e2220 dual core 2.4ghz. Its running vista home premium x64 running SP1. 4gb or ram, 500gig hd. heck ill just copy some specs.

• Desktop PC with 2.40 GHz Intel Pentium dual core E2220 processor with 1 MB L2 cache
  • 4096 MB PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM memory (2x2048 MB), 500 GB 7200rpm serial ATA hard drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce 7100 with TurboCache , 128 MB dedicated graphics memory

oh yeah i have IE7 but i use firefox

i downloaded a copy of the trial 3ds max and it is installing now so im not sure what the issue.

I did see autocad recommends a 3.0ghz hd but said a 2.0 will work. I sent a note off to them with my comp specs to see whats up.

i did get 05 back on my laptop so at least i have something for now.

3.0 GHz refers to processor speed not to hard drive (hd). Your hard drive's spin rate of 7200 rpm is fine too. I don't think it has anything to do with the hard drive.

im not sure why i typed hd there, i guess i was in a hurry:)

3ds max downloaded and installed fine. I got a response from autodesk telling me to call the presales tech dept. ill call them today and post what i find.

thanks

after calling the autodesk help they told me they didnt have phone support for the trial version but the guy tried to help my anyway. He told me when i download there are two versions, 32, and 64. he told me i must have downloaded the 32bit and i should try the 64. I should have the dvd coming in the mail any day now so im going to wait for that to show up.

• 2 weeks later...

i received the cd in the mail a few days ago and the install was no problem. I must have beena 32bit vs 64 bit issue. I wish the error message would tell you that:)

• 2 years later...

I have also had this vista error last year. After downloading the trial version of AutoCAD LT '09 trying to determine if I can get away with using the LT version instead of the Mecahnical version. When I unzip the files and run setup.exe and attempt the Install Products option I get a pop-up, "You cannot install this product on the current operating system."

Somebody suggested that I might have downloaded the wrong OS version as there's 32bit or 64bit flavors of VISTA. I didn't notice such option though, and when I returned to check on the download page, all there was is a download button with no version selection options.

Good thing, someone helped me how to determine my OS version. A 64 bit VISTA will show it upon startup and there should be a sticker on the PC saying it is.