Automaticly load excel on opening drawing

Containing_Iron

Hi All,

In an earlier thread (http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26858) I asked something about the link between autocad and excel. Since then I discovered that if the (excel) source file is opened the updating is automatic and I don't get the "update from source file" question 20 times.

My question is: is it possible to "force" autocad to open excel (and thus, the source file) the moment someone opens the drawing? and if so, how?

thanks in advance

you would still get the warnings. Excel and the spreadsheet would need to be opened before the drawing in order to eliminate the warnings

Are you sure? My uneducated guess would be that if I can get it so that the source file is opened before the updates are requested, I don't get the update questions (or at most only one, which would be an improvement, since the 20 I get now takes me 3 minutes to answer)

still, thanks for the answer... it is at least something ;)

My uneducated guess would be that if I can get it so that the source file is opened before the updates are requested

In that case you would have to select and have opened Excel with the correct worksheet between the time the drawing begins to open and the time it finishes opening

In that case you would have to select and have opened Excel with the correct worksheet between the time the drawing begins to open and the time it finishes opening

and that is why my question was if that can be done automatically through customizing something in the drawing ;) I suspect it isn't, because lisp etc. is specific to the user, not the drawing. But in the remote possibility that it is possible I asked :)

it is possible, it's just not that easy. You could create a custom command to open the spreadsheet and then the drawing but you would need to overcome some timing issues

Hendie,

Please correct me if I am wrong or misunderstanding something; couldn't spread sheet (workbook) be opened on the new drawing event, using The acad.dvb file?

ML

it probably could be but could you ensure that it was open completely before the drawing finished opening ?

You would have to test it to find out - something I just don't have time for just now

Hi Hendie

I think I would use the Begin_Doc_Open event

I would also need to go back and read The OP

I would have to tes it as well

Too difficult to explain the acad.dvb in a post also, I have tried

ML

Containing_Iron

On the Before_Doc_Open Event

I would like check to see if The Excel Spread Sheet is open first

If not, then open it.

Then on The Before_Doc_Close Event, you can close the spread sheet

It just seems like a lot of un necessary steps to read in from an Excel spread sheet

If you sent me the spread sheet and very specifically the error, I may have time to take a look

ML