R14: Instal'n failed with error code 9

Stinsoneer

I just tried to install a "new-in-box" AutoCAD R14 on my laptop. Immediately after changing the properties to Win 95, installing, it died on "Installation Failed with error code 9, VBA component FS1VBA.dll failed", then proceded to "Fatal error, unhandled Access Violation Exception at 997e2eh".

OK, how do I get past this and get it loaded? I know nothing of AutoCAD and want to learn.:unsure:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Stinsoneer

• skipsophrenic

• Strix

Oh no. After it loaded on the machine, I right clicked on the icon and changed the properties-compatibility to Win 95, thinking that's what it has to run in. (the machine uses XP). But the install failed.

Five year old computer.

Running WinXP ?? (no version given).

Trying to install AutoCAD r14.

Thought Win95 compatibility was the answer.

Yeah, I think we've got it straight now.

So where in this whole process did the error message appear?

Immediately on dbl-clicking the icon to start-load. I got nowhere. I also tried it in compatibilty with NT and 2000, different error message, same fatal results.

All I have is XP, not SP2, and the usual Microsoft Office programs, Adobe, and Norton. I just tried to load SP2 from the MS website, and several hours later, it had frozen/hung up, and I had to boot out or I'd still be on line with it. (I use DSL in a rural area). So much for SP2.

No other versions of AutoCAD, this is my first try at it. (and may be my last).

It seems like this should have been a much easier process. Personally, I would have downloaded and installed the service pack before trying to install R14.

Would you consider starting over from scratch by wiping the drive and reloading Windows, etc.?

Where do things stand now? Does R14 show up in Add/Remove Programs?

Maybe it's a Registry problem?

OK, today I'll try the service pack again. Nothing's terribly fast using DSL. R14 shows in Programs with an "uninstall" so I'll do that too. I have some software to fix registry problems so I'll check that too. So far I have not been able to load it up at all. Just a lonely icon on my desktop.... sigh..... Not really willing to wipe the hard-drive at this time, with an old machine I'd be better off just getting a new one, if I could find something without Vista.

Keep trying to help me, ReMark, I'd be so grateful!

Sure, no problem.

New laptops can be purchased with "bare drives". You just have to state your preference up front when ordering. Or you could look at buying a newer "used" laptop (price will be much lower).

Why r14? Do you need it's full capability? Could you upgrade to a more recent version of LT?

After much cleanup (Norton, registries, win-temp files, cookies,and a recommended WScript.exe upload) I left the computer for the day attempting to upload XP-SP2, and when I got home the computer had rebooted. I don't know how to tell if it went thru or not, I know it ran for several hours. If I have the SP2 or 3 loaded, how do I tell?

I bought R14 with the intention of learning it all, incl. 3D. My old company used it for everything quite well. LT versions only do 2D, right?

I did notice that the R14 folder for uninstall is empty. I don't know how to uninstall it now.

The guy I bought the AutoCAD set from refuses to take it back. I'm stuck for considerable cash.

I changed the properties -config to NT, and tried to run it... it said "FATAL ERROR: Security System (hardware lock or network license) is not functioning or is improperly installed." When using the config as Win 95, it says "FATAL ERROR: unhandled access violation exception at 997e2eh".

Now what? Do I have to buy a newer-used computer in addition to what money I've already spent? Or is anyone even still selling new machines with XT still on them? I'd hate to go Vista right now, I'm confused enough.

Man this is depressing. I live too far out in the boonies to take classes anywhere without it costing me a bundle for driving or overnight stay. But I do have a potential need for it, so I'd like to hang in there.....

After much cleanup (Norton, registries, win-temp files, cookies,and a recommended WScript.exe upload) I left the computer for the day attempting to upload XP-SP2, and when I got home the computer had rebooted. I don't know how to tell if it went thru or not, I know it ran for several hours. If I have the SP2 or 3 loaded, how do I tell?

Start>Control Panel>System, in the "General" tab you should get a list that looks similar to this:

System:

Microsoft Windows XP

Proffesional

Version 2002

Service Pack 2

Yes, LT does 2D. The full version does 2D and 3D although you are a few releases removed from what some would consider to be a suitable 3D AutoCAD program.

I think it might be "last resort" time meaning it might be time to completely wipe the drive. Ugh!

Windows XP and AutoCAD r14. I'm sure there is at least one other person out there running that combination. What are the chances he/she is a member of this forum? We could sure use their input right about now.

A search of the Internet would tell you if anyone is still selling new laptops with XP loaded. I'm betting there are a few still around. It might not be a brand name you'd recognize.

Here's another idea. Get hold of a copy of Windows 95 and load it on your laptop such that you have dual-boot capability. Then load AutoCAD r14 on the partition that has Windows 95 on it. Don't even bother trying to run r14 under XP if you're having so much trouble. I think I may even have a copy of Win95 somewhere around here I'd be willing to send to you for free (if I can find it that is).

Thank you Skipsophrenia, your reply helped me check, & it looks like SP3 got loaded on my machine. Makes you wonder why important info like that get hidden so well on MS.

Anyways, I have an old Win 98 machine still functioning, and I tried to load R14 on it with the identical results. Not sure Win 95 will help much.... I think I was sold a bad copy. Any possibility that this was a "student" copy, the kind that dies after 2 yrs? It wouldn't be unheard of I suppose that it got re-celophaned and re-sold as new.

If I had a way of reaching "Between the Lines" Shaan Hurley directly, maybe he would know.... ?

I'm going to make a drive to someone's house (miles away) today who's an AutoCAD user, maybe we can make something run on this laptop yet....????

Not even on a Win98 machine? Sounds like you may have been ripped off man. Hope it wasn't a former friend of yours.

Assuming for the moment, all went well, and you never had this problem, just what were you going to do with AutoCAD? What is the overriding reason behind doing all this in the first place? Do you just like to abuse yourself for lack of anything better to do at the moment? Was it for the unique challenge it presented? Have you been laid off of your job?