AutoCAD Architecture

Nellie

Hi,

I'm wanting to ask those members on here that use AutoCAD Architecture if it's worth me moving over to this package.

I build 3D models of buildings for planning applications, I'm using AutoCAd 2008 for this at the mo but was told by a friend that the architecture package would make my life/work a little easier.

Is there anyone who can advise of the benefits of this over 2008 and is it worth the extra cost?

thanks in advance.

Nellie

AutoCAD Architecture isn't really a program package that allows you to "make 3D architectural designs easy". It's much more than that. It is meant to provide certain amount of information for other trades using a vertical AutoCAD product.

For instance: I use AutoCAD MEP which is the mechanical vertical product in the AutoCAD family. When I receive a file that has been used by AutoCAD Architecture, if someone just drew it in 3D and didn't actually use the engineering data that the program comes with, then I just export it to a 2D file for easier handling when laying out my mechanical.

When you draw a wall in Architecture, you need to label what type of wall. And layout the slab and roof correctly. and all the doors and windows, all with the correct data associated with them. If you don't then I can't use the 3D aspect of the program at all to implement the engineering data on my end.

Just so you know, it's not really an "easy 3D architectural wizard" but more an engineering tool to provide tons of information for your trade, as well as other trades to produce a well rounded and extremely coordinated AutoCAD design, better than any 2D designs could ever do.