• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Oxygen454

• shift1313

• nocturne00

• Cad64

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sweep is not available in 2004, only Extrude. Check your Autocad Help Files for information on how to Extrude.

Also, one of the tutorials in the link I posted talks about Extruding. You should probably read through all of those tutorials first, then come back if you need further assistance.

Just a tip,

coz its how I taught most of the guys I work with.

To get an Idea on how to get around basics of 3D modeling, Play around with the UCS(rotating it along x or y axis) and extrude(try to extrude objects along the 3 planes)

Good luck!

just another thing that may be frustrating when learning. When you draw your 2d profiles makes sure they are in the xy plane. Pedit will not let you create a polyline if any of your lines are not coplanar. the extrude command will extrude your 2d profile in the Z direction.

The first couple of tutorials making cubes seemed easy but if I open my own cad drawing from fresh and type cube, it turns out like a 2D wire type design and not 3D?

You probably need to change your 3D display mode. Check your Help Files and read up on the SHADEMODE command.

Cool .... Use the - SHADEMODE command for solid-filled areas before you generate the slide. Otherwise, objects such as wide polylines and traces are displayed as outlines

Okay, so I took a 3D file and tried to extrude the I-beam I made with polly lines and fillets but it says cant extrude that many objects? Do I have to group?

r16_extrudeTESTING.dwg

The I-Beam section must be a closed polyline or Region.

join the polylines together to form a boundary or use REGION>Select all the lines of the I beam

Sweet my first 3D object as a I-beam! I love it! haha So to recap. I start CAD,

go into shademode set to Gouraud.

Then Draw object (I-Beam).

Draw a line down the side for a path.

Then type region, select the I-beam as a whole.

Then ext for extrude... select I-beam - Path... enter

and Viola! 3D I-beam!

I think thats how I did that hahaha

Just when I thought I was rockin I hit a bump in the road...

I went extrude and then used the 45 degree line as the Path but it says it cannot preform that procedure? Is this because its not a line on the Z axis like shift1313 mentioned? If so how do I go about doing that? :huh:

**UPDATE:

I double clicked on my line that was to be my path and added a Z value of 5 and it worked... how can I do this with out having to double click? As in how do you draw lines in Z values?

Profile and path are tangential.

Unable to extrude the selected object.

tangential? isnt that what you do when you tan with your cloths off? Tan genital? haha

3D I-Beam.dwg

I can draw a line with points @0,0,12 to make the 12 on the Z axis, but if I want a angle to offset the I-beam, it wont work. I tried @0,0,12

Oxy

There are several different shademode options. 2dwireframe, 3dwireframe, hidden lines etc. There are times when each one is useful.

Think of extrusion as how they actually make the ibeam. If you remember your playdoe fun factory where you had shapes like stars, squares etc and you "pushed" the playdoe through the opening you were extruding the playdoe.

If you just want to extrude in the + or _ Z axis you do not need to draw a path. If you want to extrude into other axis you will need to use a path. Your path has to be a single polyline. So say you draw a straight line from (0,0,0) to (0,0,6) then you have a line from (0,0,6) to (0,6,6) you need to put these two lines together. Use the PEDIT command. The first propt that pops up in your command line will ask you for Multiple. In your options in the command line there will always be one or 2 capital letters. If you just press thi(like M for the multiple option) and hit enter it will take you to the next prompt which i believe will ask you to select your lines. Select both lines and hit enter.

The next list of commands is rather long but you want JOIN and just keep hitting enter until all your prompts are gone. It will ask you for fuzz distance(just leave this for now) and then it will bring you back to the long list of options which for now i wouldnt worry about.

Now when you select your line it should be one single polyline.

Now, type EXTRUDE, select your I beam profile, I cant remember how 04 prompts this but I believe it will say distance but in parens will give you the option for (Path): Press P for path and then select your line and this should allow you to extrude your Ibeam profile along this line which should now have a 45.

You can combine runs like this and go back and "SLICE" your objects back into multiple I beams or you can draw them as separate pieces to start.

One issue you may run into with object like this is typically you want to extrude your beam perpendicular to your profile. the method i just told you I typically use when designing exhaust headers and things with pipe runs.

I understand some of what you wrote, like extruding and shademodes. Im not sure how to "draw a straight line from (0,0,0) to (0,0,6) then you have a line from (0,0,6) to (0,6,6).

When I draw a simple square tube, I cannot see inside the tube. It ends up being similar to a solid square piece of metal. I want to build a drawing of a something like a gocart or even a 48 inch square structure made of tubing just to start off easy. Eventually I want to be able to draw all of our structural projects in 3D. You guys have been a huge help thus far! :)

Square_Tube2.dwg

I draw the interior walls of tubing (be it square or rectangular) then offset the wall thickness (I use radiused corners BTW). Then I use the REGION command. Once the objects have been turned into regions I use the SUBTRACT command and subtract the inner shape from the outer shape. Finally, I use the Extrude command (although Push/Pull will work too) to achieve the desired length. This can be done using a PATH or by direct distance (ex. - @12.0

P.S. - When I'm ready to extrude I change my UCS (usually to SE isometric) and orient (rotate) my HSS accordingly.

I too used radius corners in that drawing above. I used the fillet command, then Radius, then .25 or 1/4". I then also use the region command but I have never used subtract. Will have to look into that. Also is the formula

- @12.0

i drew this up really quick to illustrate a few things. When im modeling in cad i use the command line most of the time rather than icons. Everyone is different. For the series of pictures below i did as follows: Note(anytime the word is all caps that means i typed this in)

RECTANGLE

this creates a rectangle with verticies 0,0 and 2,4. once you type rectangle it will ask you for the start point(your 0,0, just type in 0 then comma then 0). next it prompts you for the opposite corner and you enter your 2,4.

OFFSET

.125(it asks you to specify offset distance)

(select object to offset)click on the box

(select point on side to offset) this just means click inside the box if you want it offset to the inside or click outside the box if you want it offset to the outside.

now you should have this

extrusionhelp.jpg

The next thing i did was draw two lines.

LINE

0,0,-6

0,6,-12

this should have created lines pictured below

extrusionhelp2.jpg

PEDIT

M(for multiple)

select your two lines and hit enter

convert lines and arc to polylines **the default is yes so just press enter

Enter an options , press J for join and hit enter 3 more times

now when you click on your line, both segments should be joined

EXTRUDE

select both rectangles and hit enter

when it says specify height of extrusion[Path], press P for path

now select your line

your object should look like this

extrusionhelp3.jpg

SUBTRACT

Select your outter rectangle first and hit enter,

now select the inner rectangle and hit enter, your object should look like this.

extrusionhelp4.jpg

This is a very basic object but you can use the procedure to create your i beams, tubing runs etc. if you find that you made a tube too short you can use the extrude face command to extend it(only perpendicular to that face).

i hope this helps a little bit.

wow that is sweet man! Thanks! Im going to play with that till I get the hang of things but that will get me going. Thanks

*Update: I made that exact image and it worked out perfectly. So there is no need for the region command in this?

Oh and I too prefer the commands typed then using the tabs. I use ext instead of typing out extrude. Im off to try some other things. Thanks again!

In the rectangle... I cant use F and then r for radius and radius the corners because its a rectangle? ... do I have to explode the rectangle?

the fillet command will work on a solid you just have to select the edge you want to fillet instead of its 2d profile. the fillet command works on two seperate lines, but i do not believe it will work on the rectangle since it is a closed poly line. so to answer your question, yes you could explode it and filled that way or just do it after your last step.

ps i drew these up to show you what a tubing run would look like.

extrusionhelp5.jpg

extrusionhelp6.jpg

i drew all this in 05 so it should be very similar to what you are using. the newer version have the commands Sweep and Loft. sweep will allow you to extrude your 2d polyline along a spline which lets you expand the possibilities, the tubing pictured above was done all with lines and arcs. the catch to that is you can only draw an arc in the x-y plane so i had to rotate my UCS(Tools, New Ucs, then select x, y , or z to rotate about those axis).