Lineweight Control in Microsoft Word

alfred corbin

I have written many technical manuals and books using Microsoft Word, with AutoCad line illustrations inserted in the text. This has worked almost satisfactorily for me, except that I lose control of the AutoCad linweight in the transfer.

I've tried exporting drawings as .jpg files and had some luck, but the lines tend to wind up too thick in the final print. Another method I've had some success with is simply Edit/Copy, then Edit/Paste the drawing onto the Word file. With this method, lineweight is also lost, but the drawing comes out extremely fine. It has great detail, but is a little too weak to read. Is there another channel by which I can get an Autocad drawing into Word and still have some control over the lineweight?

In desperation, I have simply plotted a drawing from AutoCad with my desired lineweight, and scanned the plot to produce a .jpg file which I just treat as a photo into Word.

Eldon:

Thanks for the quick reply to my post. As you advised, I exported the drawing to Word as a .wmf file. The drawing appeared in my Word document, but I don't understand the later steps. I don't know what Ungroup image means, nor do I know how to perform the steps. Checking Microsoft Word Help, I got a lot of instructions which were no help to me. Can you clarify this a little for me?

Eldon:

Thanks for the quick reply to my post. As you advised, I exported the drawing to Word as a .wmf file. The drawing appeared in my Word document, but I don't understand the later steps. I don't know what Ungroup image means, nor do I know how to perform the steps. Checking Microsoft Word Help, I got a lot of instructions which were no help to me. Can you clarify this a little for me?

Extending from Eldon.

After you insert it into word you should be able to right click on the picture and press ungroup. You should be able to then select each line individually and change the line weight.

Extending from falconed, here is a screen shot which should assist. The menu appears after right clicking inside the image. When you Ungroup, the image is converted into a Microsoft Office drawing object, and then you can choose lineweights (called Line Style in Word) which can be found on the Drawing Toolbar. :D

Ungroup.jpg