making doors and using the "height" parameter

gussosa

Sorry, the title shouldn't say height, it should say thickness.

I am in a self-taught course based in AutoCAD Architectural 2002.

I am finishing the 3D part of the course and there is an exercise where they ask me to make a rough model of a room. The idea is to use elev and thicknessto "extrude" 2D drawings.

The problem is that they ask me to use break to cut the door spaces in the rectangle that makes the walls of the room and then thickness to create the walls. Period. They show the pic of a nicely drawn (kindergarten style) room.

So I break the rectangle to make the holes for the doors and then draw 3D lines to make the doors, and finally use the thickness property to give a 3D appearance to the room. I do that and I still haven't got a wall above the doors. I use thickness again with the line that makes the top of the door and I get something that resembles the picture.

The problem is that the auxiliary file in the disc of the exercise shows a room made of a unique wall with a smooth surface. In my case I get 4 surfaces. 2 made of the original lines in the 2D drawing, and 2 made of the top of the doors.

Thanks.

Gustavo Sosa

Montevideo, Uruguay

I have tried everything to make something that looks like the auxiliary files, but failed. Have you got any ideas?

If you want the letter of the exercise just ask me and I will send you an email. The file is too big to post it here. Anyway, you may find the auxiliary files attached.

Ejercicio32a.dwg

Ejercicio32b.dwg

Ejercicio32c.dwg

i am a little unclear as to what you need with your drawings. I opened one of them(exercise32a) and took a look.

Everything is a 2dpoly figure. the walls i just selected and used the properties menu to add "thickness". same thing with the large desk and legs for the desk. The chair(what i think is a chair) needed to be broken up using explode. then you could thicken it like the table and walls(which you will need to go back and create a surface on.

for the door way i used the break command. It will ask you for a break point and you need to either manually enter a point or have a reference line somewhere. This "broke" the walls from the bottom to the top.

ejercicio32a-Model.jpg

is this what you were asking? sorry if it wasnt

Hi Shift1313

Thanks for taking the time for this.

I can't draw the part of the wall that is over the doors.

I am sure that thing has a name but I can't recall it at the moment.

I get to a drawing like yours without problems. Now look at the 3rd drawing. I complete the table and the chair using 3D surfaces. Then I have to draw "that piece of wall that goes on the top of the door". To do that I draw a line at the base of the door, elevate it 75 units and then change the thickness to 25.

Done?

Not according to the solution in the cd, because those 2 1/2 walls make only don't show any difference between "that piece of wall that goes on the top of the door" and the other parts of the wall. There is no transition. If I was using real 3D objects I would merge them and problem solved, but that doesn't work in 2.5 dimensions.

It would be horribly long to talk about all the things I tried to do this, but I have seen similar exercises in Architecture courses and I thought that maybe there is a methodology for solving this kind of problem.

i opened up your third drawing and i believe you are having trouble with your UCS. your door opening were surfaces, i deleted them and you were left with this.

everytime i try to draw a line it creates a sheet body. Im not really sure how you got it like this but maybe you should start from scratch. i dont have the time to mess with the file right now so maybe someone else can give you a hand, i will have time tomorrow.

sorry

ejercicio32c-Model.jpg