3d Wire

Nick@TE-Direct

Hey guys I am looking to do a 3d rendering of wire with ss braid. I was wondering if there is anything in Autocad that will give me that braided look. I have Autocad 2002 mechanical which may be limited with the renders. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I can do a small section via AutoLisp. ( Limited to 255 Vertices in length ).

I don't think AutoCAD has a braided twist built into it yet. I maybe wrong. -David

ROPE0.JPG

ROPE1.JPG

Very sweet! So what autolisp routine did you use? I was hoping to do a helix along the path of a helix or 3dpoly last week for a shop vac hose, but couldn't quite get it. Maybe a couple more years when autodesk can get a non uniform scale of a solid to stay a solid they might get this going as well!

Its just never enough, always wanting more. I'm also looking for the electrodes that I can hook to my brain so I can draw faster too. Maybe radio shack has them?8)

without the autolisp you wont be able to do this in 02. you could draw your wire profile and sweep along a path. what kind of wire rope are we talking about here. simple 1x7 or are you getting into like 19x7 and up

The mesh was produced using an AutoLisp routine I wrote in 2001. It takes a given profile and extrudes it along a 3D Polyline path. Because it is a mesh, it is limited 255 vertices in either m or n directions. If I remember, it was originally made for modeling a telephone cord on another forum.

I don't remember what the rendering was done in. -David