LDD problem with microsoft access

aussihammer

I am getting an error when trying to use land desktop.

I am trying to get 3d moddeling using contours of a terrain.

The copy of 2007 i have will not work properly and wont let me build my terrain or apply break lines.

The message i am getting is unrecognised data base format.

When i go to the file it is in microsoft access file format. What can i do to make this file recognizable to my land desktop.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussihammer

• rustysilo

• dtkell

You are trying to create a surface from contours?

Yes but when i put in my break lines i get the error message and it makes me put them in a different surface or overwrite my original one. It also doesn't seem to read my poly lines.

The message i am getting is unrecognised data base format.

When i go to the file it is in microsoft access file format. What can i do to make this file recognizable to my land desktop.

You need to convert the database to the proper version for the Autodesk release you are using.

I'm not sure which one that is, still stuck using R2000 LDD which uses Access 98.

You need to convert the database to the proper version for the Autodesk release you are using.

I'm not sure which one that is, still stuck using R2000 LDD which uses Access 98.

i was using 2005, tried to upgrade to 2007, thats where i had the problem, have now gone to 2006 and is working fine.

Still would like to know an easy but effective way of turning contours into a visible surface, preferably a mesh. Which i can do in ldd but it isnt the best, i cant seem to get rid of the back faces.

You should be able to add the contour lines to a surface either as contours or as breaklines. You can then refine the surface as necessary by flipping faces, adding or deleting lines, etc. under edits.

You should be able to add the contour lines to a surface either as contours or as breaklines. You can then refine the surface as necessary by flipping faces, adding or deleting lines, etc. under edits.

what is flipping faces?

I have a grid which i am using as my surface, but i cant seem to hide the back faces which are showing up through the grid.

I dont think im understanding correctly what to do.:wink:

Ah so this is now back to your previous question a few months ago. You want to create a model and then render it without seeing the surface faces beyond right? Why don't you upload an example file and let us play around with it?

Ah so this is now back to your previous question a few months ago. You want to create a model and then render it without seeing the surface faces beyond right? Why don't you upload an example file and let us play around with it?

How do i go about that?

Looking at your previous post of the issue it doesn't appear that you have actually created a surface from the linework (which explains why the file you sent me wasn't a surface). In this case you aren't going to get the results you're looking for. You need to create a surface (if you haven't) and add the linework as breaklines to your surface. This will actually create a tin that you will then be able to apply materials to and render.

What will your final presentation format be for your clients? A 3D rendering? A flythrough animation? What?

I might also ask, what is the format you originally started with? Where did your terrain grid (3d polylines) come from?

autocad. Its all through autocad and Land desktop. I have 3dmax also but do not know how to use it and dont have the tutorials.

Sorry just reading through. I start with contours with z values. I put them in Land desktop and create a surface, then i create a grid, which is my 3d, if there is a better way to do it then maybe i should be.

I use my feature lines and project them onto the grid.

I want to maybe do some rendering as long as i can still see the grid. Eg colour in bunkers, lakes and walls.

How do you go about creating the grid? I don't know that I've ever done that with a surface in Land Desktop.

Do you have any examples of what you want it to look like, ie - a final product?

And why would you want to still see the grid after rendering?