creating new linetype

chelsea1307

I know this has been posted before but the sites used to show how are no longer there... I am trying to create a new linetype with a shape on it every 15 inches. i can make the dashed linetypes but when i try to put the shape on there it doesn't work. the purple lines with the x's is what i want to make into a linetype, its a basic hidden line with x's copied onto it. that shows demo of piping for me and its very tedious to copy the x's all over the place, specially when there are a lot of pipes being demo'd.

Drawing1.dwg

Could you not use AutoCAD's Fenceline3 instead? It would save you from having to reinvent the wheel.

i only have fenceline 1 and 2 could u upload 3 so i can add it to my linetypes?

I have AutoCAD 2009 running right at the moment and Fenceline3 is an option. Format > Linetype > Load.

Maybe I added it myself. I can't recall. It's been awhile.

The synapses have been wildly misfiring. It appears I added Fenceline3 to the acad.lin file myself. Here's what the definition looks like:

*FENCELINE3,Fenceline cross ----X----X----X----X----

A,.5,-.35,["X",roman2,S=.1,R=0.0,X=-0.1,Y=-.05],-.25

Where it says roman2 substitute your standard font.

You know which of the two acad.lin files you have to edit, right?

The synapses have been wildly misfiring. It appears I added Fenceline3 to the acad.lin file myself. Here's what the definition looks like:

*FENCELINE3,Fenceline cross ----X----X----X----X----

A,.5,-.35,["X",roman2,S=.1,R=0.0,X=-0.1,Y=-.05],-.25

Where it says roman2 substitute your standard font.

You know which of the two acad.lin files you have to edit, right?

not any clue...

i tried copying that strait to the acad.lin file at the bottom where its set for user created linetypes but i got the error about bad argument for fenceline3 any suggestions?

That sorta works... ive got something else but i cant get it to show up with the crosses in the right scale

*DEMO,---x---x---x---x---x---x---x

A,0,-.020833,.020833,-.020833,.010417,[DEMOX,democd,s=.083333,r=180],.010417,-.020833,.020833,-.020833,.020833

Drawing2.dwg

Once again, I would suggest using the Express Tool called Make Linetype. Save the single linetype to your desktop (call it myline.lin). Then try it out in a drawing. If it works as you want it to open the file (myline.lin) using Notepad, cut or copy the two lines of text, then open acad.lin and paste it in at the end of the file. You should be good to go.

chelsea1307:

The text value s=.083333 is the text's scale.

The two numbers after the A define the dash and space lengths. The values contained within the brackets define the parameters of the text to be displayed within the linetype you've created. The last value, after the bracket, defines the length of the last space.

Within the brackets R is the rotation value and the X and Y values are the offset of the text in relation to the line.