Multi Core Processor and AutoCAD

zms

In our office we are planning to buy a couple Multi Core Processed Computers, preferably the Quad-Core. The problem is that we don't have much information about how these computers work with AutoCAD.

On all but one computer we use AutoCAD LT 2008 and the other one has AutoCAD 2009 on it.

I do know about Whipthread and how it gives you the oportunity to use the second core for REGEN and REDRAW. But how does this work with a Quad Core.

I guess the question is:

Has anybody on this forum any experience with using AutoCAD on a multi core processor. Did this make AutoCAD significantly quicker? Or are we better of waiting till AutoCAD gets more functionality out of Multiple Cores.

Thanks,

Personally I don't think you'll see much of an improvement in plain old vanilla AutoCAD. On the other hand, a product like 3ds Max will benefit greatly because it is a true multithreaded application. The one benefit you may see running plain AutoCAD is if you also run other applications simultaneously. Just my 2 cents worth which will be worth a lot less after we bail out the investment bankers.

Yes, AutoCAD 2009 is multi-threaded. I don't think LT is. As Remark said it will help in multitasking. I can tell a difference on my Core2 Duo as compared to my single core at home.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, that's C3D 09. Nothing before that has support correct? It just seems that Autodesk is a few years behind. We have 8-16 core systems out in less than 6 months. And they thread up to 16-32 using hyper threading. You would think such a large corp with 60% of the larger "US alone" surving, achitectural and engineering businesses backing them with subscriptions, would be on top of effiencincy of their product using cutting edge hardware adn software.

I have been using Vista 64, with 6gb's of ram and a quad core for over a year now. From LDT and Map to Civil 3d 08, I have noticed that the program is unstable and un-efficient. I have tested 09, though it is even slower than 08.

I am not going to say that the program does not have its bonuses. It does some amazing things. I would just like to see things run better, and smoother. I guess they just need the bugs worked out, and optimized for about 200% more speed behind them. Waiting for software to do its thing bites into profits, especially when the software cost almost as much as the hardware.