hi i'm having problems printing

autocad drawings (rel. 2000)

containing text to pdf.

the problem being that the outline of

printed text isn't smooth. i.e curved outlines

become polygonal.

i wonder if there's a variable somewhere

in cad that determines how many segments

there are in such approximations of curves?

or perhaps it's something that

is determined by a variable in my pdf writer?

i'm using cute pdf writer.

i'd really appreciate any help.

this is from autocad help, see if any of it helps.

Display Resolution

Controls the quality of the display of objects. If you set high values to improve display quality, the impact on performance is significant.

Arc and Circle Smoothness Controls the smoothness of circles, arcs, and ellipses. A higher number produces smoother objects, but more time is required to regenerate, pan, and zoom the objects. You can improve performance by setting this option to a low value such as 100 for drawing. The valid range is 1 to 20,000. The default setting is 1000. This setting is saved in the drawing. To change the default for new drawings, consider specifying this setting in the template files on which you base your new drawings. (VIEWRES command)

Segments in a Polyline Curve Sets the number of line segments to be generated for each polyline curve. The higher the number, the greater the performance impact. Set this option to a low value such as 4 to optimize performance for drawing. Values range from -32767 to 32767. The default setting is 8. This setting is saved in the drawing. (SPLINESEGS system variable)

Display Performance

Controls display settings that affect performance.

Apply Solid Fill Displays solid fills in objects. You must regenerate the drawing for this setting to take effect. This setting is saved in the drawing. Clear this option to optimize performance. (FILLMODE system variable)

Objects affected by FILL include hatches (including solid-fill), two-dimensional solids, wide polylines, and AutoCAD multilines and traces.

Show Text Boundary Frame Only Displays the frames for text objects instead of displaying the text objects. After you select or clear this option, you must use REGEN to update the display. This setting is saved in the drawing. Select this option to optimize performance. (QTEXTMODE system variable)

May be something else, but have you tried printing the pdf. Sometimes they just appear to have poor resolution depending on the veiwer.

My pdf's look 10 times better when viewed via latest adobe reader vs my older adobe writer.

no luck with your ideas dipali,

and i thought it might be that kind of thing.

i'll try printing, but i'm not too confident,

i think it might be a cutepdf writer problem

thanks for those suggestions

dipali, and thanks to you too hay123.

• 2 weeks later...

Our firm used to use Cute PDF, but the quality was extremely poor. We switched to PDF Creator (open source program) and the drawings come out a lot better. I would suggest plotting DWFs instead. You can use Design Review (open source program) to manipulate DWFs. I hope this is helpful.