How do i extract volume from extruded solids?

Steve71

I am an architect and have an autocad 2008 3D model of a building i am currently designing. I am trying to extract the collective volume of a number of 3D solid extrusions (in this case structural columns & beams) into a spreadsheet to allow the total material to be budget costed.

So far i have only managed to find the MASSPROP command which means i have to manually transfer the volume data between autocad and excel. Ideally i wanted to have each object identified separately on the spreadsheet but this is not practical to do manually due to the large numbers involved.

Any help will be much appreciated....

i played with it a bit and i havent found a way to export massprop to an excel file. Massprop window gives me an option to write file but the only file type is *.mpr.

i have been playing with data link and extract data and it look promising, but i dont know for sure yet. I have been able to extract data to an excel file and a dxe file(dont know what that is) but so far its left out the data i want.

I created a mass prop window, and copy/pasted it right into my drawing.

ill play with it a bit more and let you know if i get anywhere.

it looks like the best way to do this is to create a data link. You will still need to copy your mass properties into a chart in your drawing but this will be directly linked to an excel file. Meaning you can modify the excel file and reflect your "bom" in cad, or you can modify the "bom" in cad and reflect the change in the excel file.

i wanted to have each object identified separately on the spreadsheet

Do you intend to name each solid? Or maybe each solid is on its own layer and the layername could be used to identify it?

fuccaro, wont that list just return the same thing massprop returns? or are you able to output it with that lisp? As far as i can tell from the code it looks to just output it to the screen.

It returns the volume of the selected solid, multiplied with the density. The routine can be adjusted to save the results in a CSV file (Excel can handle that format)