+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Newbie
    Using
    AutoCAD 2004

Default Which version for new business?

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

This post does not really belong in this section, but I could not access the correct subject area for this. Anyway, my question is:

I am currently a project manager for a small architectural firm with 10 years of cad experience as well. After two years managing projects, I'm thinking some parts of the job is just not for me. Long story short, I am close to going on my own and doing contract work under my one-man small business. I have a great resource of clients and other firms that I will work closely with on a project by project basis, so there's no reason I should not succeed with my business plan.

My current small firm is behind a bit, and we using AutoCad 2002 still. I've dabbled with 04, and ADT, but still behind I'm sure on the newer versions. My question is, which version should I purchase, and is it worth purchacing a subscription in order to continue updating? I am assuming 2009 would make the most sence, but I'm worried this will be too big of a jump and I'll be lost. I do plan on taking some refresher trainning either way, and will definately get trainning for the new version I'll be purchasing if I go that route.

Also, do you have any opinions on what most architectrual firms are using, and leaning towards for the future? Is Revit or ADT the way to go? Any opinions on how I should approach my business with regards to autocad? I do plan on staying current and up-to-date,...just need a starting point.

Using
    Civil 3D 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Kbak75 View Post
    This post does not really belong in this section, but I could not access the correct subject area for this. Anyway, my question is:

I am currently a project manager for a small architectural firm with 10 years of cad experience as well. After two years managing projects, I'm thinking some parts of the job is just not for me. Long story short, I am close to going on my own and doing contract work under my one-man small business. I have a great resource of clients and other firms that I will work closely with on a project by project basis, so there's no reason I should not succeed with my business plan.

My current small firm is behind a bit, and we using AutoCad 2002 still. I've dabbled with 04, and ADT, but still behind I'm sure on the newer versions. My question is, which version should I purchase, and is it worth purchacing a subscription in order to continue updating? I am assuming 2009 would make the most sence, but I'm worried this will be too big of a jump and I'll be lost. I do plan on taking some refresher trainning either way, and will definately get trainning for the new version I'll be purchasing if I go that route.

Also, do you have any opinions on what most architectrual firms are using, and leaning towards for the future? Is Revit or ADT the way to go? Any opinions on how I should approach my business with regards to autocad? I do plan on staying current and up-to-date,...just need a starting point.
    dont waste time moving up to 05 or something like that..get training in 09 and then go that route....you will have spent more billable time jumping from 02 to 05..then later to 09....make the big jump now and save time/money. get the subscription and stay up to date...its cheaper in the long run....

I think ADT is the way to go but Im not as familiar with your field as some others in this forum....im sure their advice is on the way.
    Failure is a dress rehearsal for success.

AutoCAD Land Development Desktop (2000, 2005 & 2006 )
    Civil 3D 2008

Computer Details
    Dipali's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    windows 10
    Computer:
    TOSHIBA "SATELLITE"
    CPU:
    Intel inside CORE i7
    Monitor:
    viewsonicVA1916w
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Dipali's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    ARCHITECTURE
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Details
    interiors
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

you have not mentioned where r u based? so it will be difficult for people to advice. I can only share my experiance. I started similar thing you are doing now, a year before. I was tight on budget & so purchased LT2008 and that was enough for me for the type of work I was getting, but now I have purchased 2009 full version, to expand my horizon. Companies are inquiring about Revit but it will tkae some time to get there yet. so next year may be I will switch to ReVIT.
    "An architect's most useful tools are an eraser at the drawing board & a wrecking bar at the site."
    Frank Lloyd Wright

Using
    AutoCAD 2008

Dito to the above, good luck with your company

also whats different in ReVIT than in AutoCAD 2009?

just curious

Using
    AutoCAD 2007

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodz0321 View Post
    dont waste time moving up to 05 or something like that..get training in 09 and then go that route.....
    I agree

But I wouldn't get a subsription either

You don't need to be some of the first to get the latest

Let other people test it so acad can work out the bugs first

You have a new business to run. You don't have time to work for free as an autocad tester supplying feedback for the programmers

However if you choose to do this anyway, Thank you for helping to work out the bugs so that most will be gone before I upgrade
    I'm now a senior member.
    Someone may think that I know what I'm doing. If so, I sure fooled them!

Computer Details
    nocturne00's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows Vista SP2
    Computer:
    Dell Studio XPS
    CPU:
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600
    RAM:
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    Graphics:
    ATI Radeon, 512MB
    Monitor:
    22" Samsung
    Using
    AutoCAD 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Kbak75 View Post
    I am assuming 2009 would make the most sence, but I'm worried this will be too big of a jump and I'll be lost. I do plan on taking some refresher trainning either way, and will definately get trainning for the new version I'll be purchasing if I go that route.
    ADT would be a great choice for an architectural firm. CAD2009 as you mention is a big jump based from the previuos version you've been using. Picking between thses two would be the way to go but training is necessary to get the most out of it, after all, a piece of software is only as good as the one who handles it.
    ....always perform Beyond what is expected.

Computer Details
    Tankman's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    XP Pro SP3
    Computer:
    IBM T60 Thinkpad™
    Monitor:
    36" LCD Monitor/TV, 14" Thinkpad™ T60
    Using
    AutoCAD 2007

Stick with vs. 2002 for awhile, until you get the chance to move up to vs. 2009.

Then, I would work with both programs on the PC.
    Train on 2009 but, crunch work out in 2002.
    Tankman

"When the well is dry, we know the worth of water." Ben Franklin ~ 1746

Computer Details
    rustysilo's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    WinXP
    Discipline
    Civil
    rustysilo's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Senior CAD Draftsman
    Discipline
    Civil
    Using
    Civil 3D 2008

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

I'm with hotrodz. I say jump into '09 Architectural or Revit and get the training. To do this you may need to get a small business loan, but I think if you have the work lined up already that's no big deal. Build a strong relationship with your vendor and let them in on your plan. Perhaps they will work with you and give you discounts with the training if they know you will be a repeat customer.

Or if you are unable to get this sort of funding try to train yourself. It is difficult for some, but it's possible.
    "Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." ~ Jerry Garcia
    flickr |
    work | blog | creed
    rustysilo's tips & tutorials