ACAD 2009 Rendering issues...Autodesk claims Hardware issues

eric_monceaux

My company just purchased us new PCs and they are defiantly a step up from our previous machines. Granted our previous machines were decent, but we needed a little (understatement) more power. So when we were scouting for new machines we made sure that these PCs would be able to handle the memory hogging ACAD 2009.

So when our new eATX Dell Precision T7400 computers arrived (my profile shows stats of current PC) I was eager to get them up an running. After going through the tedious process of importing plot styles and CUI menus, one of the first things I did was render a complex model of a helical entry, and low and behold...I get a dialog box that says:

"AutoCAD Error Aborting

FATAL ERROR: Unhandled Access Violation Reading 0x0000 Exception 80a7ae55h"

So I went through the hoops with Autodesk, actually I am still going through them, and did as instructed.

1. Install most current Graphics Driver certified by Autodesk (169.39 Quadro WinXP64 International WHQL)

2. Install the most current "Maintenance Update" available.

-------> That didn't work

So I was instructed to UNINSTALL the "Maintenance Update" and try again.

Then Tech Support recommended that I uninstall AutoCAD and REINSTALL it and try again.

So I am at a loss as to what to do now. I have included my Performance log for review.

Performance Log.txt

Nice machine...too bad it doesn't work.

Have you gone into the nVidia control panel (Manage 3D settings)?

Are you experiencing problems with any other program besides AutoCAD?

Yeah...it's nice, but it ain't very good friends with AutoCAD...pity.

I have gone into the control panel and first changed the Global Settings to the "Autodesk AutoCAD" preset. AutoCAD still crashed. Then I tinkered with a few of the settings that are available to select, with no avail. I also powered down my PC and removed 3 of the DDR2 sticks and tried again. Nada.

Here is the real kicker:

I just remembered that I was a bit mistaken when I said that I haven't been able to render on this machine at all. When we first got the towers, I was originally able to render. I am going to try a System Restore back to when I first powered this bad baby on. I will see what happens then.

Wish me luck!

I do wish you luck as nothing else seems to be working for you at the moment.

What happened between then (could render) and now (can't render without a crash)? Did you change some hardware or software? Has to be a reason behind the sudden slide into non-compliance by AutoCAD. You said you downloaded and install all service packs for 2009? I believe there were two.

I am not sure what happened. No hardware changes were made, and as far as software, the only changes that were made were driver updates for the Video Card, Standard Windows updates, and AutoCAD service packs (I am currently running the most recent update: Version 3)

Well I'm tapped out for ideas at the moment. Keep us aprised of the situation as I am sure another unlucky CAD user may come along with a similar problem. Your experience, good, bad or indifferent, could be of great value. In the meantime I'll "sleep" on it. If something comes to mind I'll be back. Arnold told me to say that.

I will try doing a sys restore back to the original install date to AutoCAD. First I have to let my 20 hour back up finish (yeesh!).

I am also going to try and do a fresh install to a different hard drive in a 32-bit environment. Gonna try and isolate whether it is a hardware or software issue.

If I get any responses from Autodesk I will post their "tips" as well.

I should have more info on Monday.

Thanks for the help ReMark...I am glad you feel my pain!

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update....

I have reformatted my PC, re-installed CAD, and believe it or not...still can't render. However, to add to the twist, I CAN render if I am logged in as the administrator. When I am logged on as my user name I cannot.

Go figure.

Yes and no. No because it isn't fixed and it is a time consuming process to fix. Yes because now at least I think I have isolated the problem.

However, I am not exactly sure where to start looking to fix that issue. I have a new support request into Autodesk, and I hope that they can help.

Compared to you I have no problems. Other than I think the whole interface change was a big waste of time and money. I notice too that a good number of AutoCAD 2009 users complain of a tendency for the program to run slow.

I think I have a pretty good hardware setup but I've always run as lean as I could. The OS, anti-virus and AutoCAD. Nothing else.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have your system admin add your user account to the local computers Administrator Group, does that "fix" the problem?

If so, then you might have a bug in either the GPU driver or with AC2009 that prevents limited users from using the proper code path. In 32-bit systems this is not as stringently enforced as it is in your 64-bit OS.

Another tack may be to back down a step in the nVidia Driver version to the previously qualified / authorized driver (and turn off AutoCad's check driver function in the Options) and see if that helps isolate the problem. If you do that, make sure to completely uninstall the current GPU driver first and reboot after each step.

• 2 months later...

So it turns out that I am some kind of goofball. AutoCAD kept crashing because of either a faulty export of my original customizations zip file, or because I wrote a bad macro. So after 3-4 months of trouble shooting, I finally reinstalled CAD and wrote my ribbon menus from scratch (No Easy Chore!) and it now works fine.

...Now if I could just find the ghost in the machine...

so, is it fixed? have you had any other issues with it? we also upgraded systems in order to run MEP... we went from a laptop with a dual-core 2.8 processor, 4 GB or RAM and a 256 dedicated/512 Virtual memory video card to the monster that we have now. it worked fine for a week or so, then it started crashing... MEP has been notorious for crashes from all over the web (or so i have found), but this is rediculous. thsi systems was over 11 grand and it still can't run this software without killing itself. and the stupidest part? it crashes on some of the simplest commands. i can run interference analysis and it will be okay about 50% of the time, but as soon as i go to draw a line, or move a single item, it will lock up with no warning. i have learned to save every few minutes (as well has have the auto-save set at 5 minutes), but with all the money we have spent on this system, there is no reason why we should be dealing with these issues.

as far as trying to get a hold of AutoDesk, they told me the exact same thing... install this, uninstall that, re-install the entire software bundle. it never helps. i have never loaded any "custom commands", LISP reoutines, or anything like that... just rearrange the toolbars (got rid of the ribbon), and save three plot styles. other than that, it is a stock MEP system... we do have the subscription to the Revit MEP suite, so we will be getting a new set of DVD's for 2010 in March or May (i can't remember). maybe autodesk will have come out from the closet and tell us what is going on. i am willing to just let it all go if i can get the system to become stable in one way or another.

anyone know, or at least heard rumors of what is causing the crashes?

Later,

Andy