Can't detach Xref

BenE

Is it the only XREF in the drawing? If not, check to make sure that all the others do not contain this particular XREF.

If that doesn't work, do a QSELECT and tell it to select the XREF you want to detach and see how many it thinks there are.

Something tells me though, that its the first. It sounds like you have another drawing in there that also references the one you want to detach.

There are several xrefs in the current drawing. I may have forgotten to clean up one of them while updating some info. I'll check them out and post my finding. Thanks for the suggestion!

Well, that didn't take care of it. I couldn't find any other instances of the problem xref. Fortunately, this problem isn't an issue in my .bak file, so I'll just use the .bak and loose a little work. No worries and thanks.

-Ben

Most likely the xref was copied into the drawing instead of inserted in throught xrefattach or it was inadvertantly copied while in the current drawing.

"The xref will not delete due to multiple references".

This reference (that u cannot see) will be found under blocks. The solution is to purge your blocks in the drawing and this will delete any reference to the xref in your drawing allowing u to delete the xref from the xref manager

• Like 1

You need to find the original file in which the xref was attached to. once you locate that file and detach it will detach in the other places. it may be a matter of opening the original xref and detaching it from there.

HTH

The message states there are multiple references for that XREF. Try erasing the offending XREF and then detach it. If that still does not work, try qselect to erase all instances of that XREF and then detach.

• 5 months later...

I inadvertently attached an xref while in paper space. After it didn't show up in model space (gee, I wonder why), I reloaded it again; when I went to detach it, the above-referenced error message was generated. QSELECT didn't pick it up, but I eventually went to the layout tab containing the xref, zoomed extents, and there it was. I deleted it, and was then able to detach. I'm probably the only one boneheaded enough to make that sort of error, but thought I'd throw it out there.

• 3 years later...

I had the same problem and I found out the xref I cannot detach is also a nested block in another block inside. I found it deleting all entities from the drawing until I found the nested block and of course purging the block. then make the block again changing the name from the nested block in the original block and reinserting. Then the xref can be purged.

This was my case

• 1 year later...
Or a Audit will do the trick if Purge is not enough.

This did the trick for me. Autit and then Purge. Thanks!

Edit : Did work only in one case, another drawing still unable to detach. But still 1/2 is a good rate :D

• 1 month later...
I inadvertently attached an xref while in paper space. After it didn't show up in model space (gee, I wonder why), I reloaded it again; when I went to detach it, the above-referenced error message was generated. QSELECT didn't pick it up, but I eventually went to the layout tab containing the xref, zoomed extents, and there it was. I deleted it, and was then able to detach. I'm probably the only one boneheaded enough to make that sort of error, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Whatever I did, Bjolma, your suggestion sent me down the right track. Maybe I, like you, screwed up and xrefed into paperspace, or something.

I went through each of my layout tabs and deleted any that I didn't need. I also zoom/extends every remaining layout, and deleted anything unnecessary, including any dots (in case the Xref was tiny).

I then, on a hunch, went to my xref manager while in paperspace and this time WAS ABLE to delete my problematic Xref!

Good work, gang! We solved the mystery!