how to make all lines ONE ... !!

CAD-LOVER0208

Hello

I hope everyone is doing well..

I have a question and i need a little help please...

Ok i have this drawing i made.. after adding windows and doors and all the openings, my walls are just lines.. i mean, when i select my walls around the buliding, they are just lines and not one continuing wall , how can i make them one ?

like now i want to add hatchings i can't, because they are all just bunch of 2d lines..

I tried to use the commant " join " but it joins the lines on top of the windows and doors, and i don't want that...

i attached my dwg. and i draw two errows on a selected wall and not selected wall... i want to make them all one, like you know when we draw in poly line, all the lines are one, so i don't know how to explain it more, i'm sorry to make it a big deall lol i just want to make all the lines around the building one, so i don't have to select each one by it self.

many thanks

my building.JPG

thanks for the reply..

I tried to do that, but i can't join them.. what should i do ?

how to make them polylines.. ?

Don't think you can do what your wanting to do without joining intersecting lines to a closed poly line. what your wanting is how AEC handles walls.. you can hatch those area's still without making them polylines if that is your objective.

Try PEDIT>Multiple>Yes to make them polylines.

After you've selected the multiple option thats when you want select your lines' date=' and then press enter, the command line will show. "Convert Lines and Arcs to polylines [Yes/No']? " just press enter,

After that just press the letter "J" to join and press enter twice to finish joining, 3 times to finish joining and exit the pedit command.

Yeah you can't join two lines that are separated like that and treat it as one wall without using something a vertical that handles walls specially like that.

The best you can do is join the individual sides and hatch those individually or as a group hatch.

Another option is to draw your continuous wall and use a wipeout as part of your door block to "hide" the applicable wall portion behind the door/window etc.

Maybe the lines are not really separate after all. What if the line on the left wrapped around the outside of the building and the line you see on the right is basically the end of the line? The two lines we see and possibly the lines in-between could be joined using pedit. Maybe some lines don't want to "join" because there is enough of a gap that AutoCAD won't continue on with the command. Just a couple of points to consider. Can we see the entire drawing? Don't need the interior detail really just the building perimeter.

You can select inside a closed area to hatch, the area doesn't have to be a closed pline, just need the lines touching or close, you can use the gap tolerance to allow for small places where the lines don't touch. See the arrow in the lower right of the bhatch dialog and then see the Gap tolerance area.

You can select inside a closed area to hatch, the area doesn't have to be a closed pline, just need the lines touching or close, you can use the gap tolerance to allow for small places where the lines don't touch. See the arrow in the lower right of the bhatch dialog and then see the Gap tolerance area.

That's fine but the OP made it sound like they wanted to treat the geometry as one unit which that doesn't really accomplish. If all the OP cares about is hatching yeah that's fine.

• 1 month later...
How about drawing a polyline around the perimeter that you want hatched and placing it on a no plot layer?

That's actually what i did.. :) it helped me a lot.

thank you all :oops:

yep, i've actually done that.. thank you for replying to my thread

i drew polylines on my lines, and and i hatched them, then i deleted the polylines, and there you go, i have all my walls hatched.. :D

problem solved :)

yep, i've actually done that.. thank you for replying to my thread

i drew polylines on my lines, and and i hatched them, then i deleted the polylines, and there you go, i have all my walls hatched.. :D

problem solved :)

I find it good practice to do as instructed in other posts and keep the hathch boundaries on a separate layer that does not print and turned off when not used.

Sometimes there is an issue with redefining a hatch boundary with the polyline method in hatch edit, so keeping a boundary always helps me.

I work in Geotechnical though.

I find it good practice to do as instructed in other posts and keep the hathch boundaries on a separate layer that does not print and turned off when not used.

Sometimes there is an issue with redefining a hatch boundary with the polyline method in hatch edit, so keeping a boundary always helps me.

I work in Geotechnical though.

Yes, making the hatch associative and leaving the polyline there on a no plot layer makes for easy adjusting later on, if necessary.

Yes, making the hatch associative and leaving the polyline there on a no plot layer makes for easy adjusting later on, if necessary.

so it's not good to use polylines then deleting them ( cuz that's what i did :unsure: ) , but i should leave them and put them on layer "0" the def points right ? incase for futute changes ?

so it's not good to use polylines then deleting them ( cuz that's why i did :unsure: ) , but i should leave them and put them on layer "0" the def points right ? incase for futute changes ?

It is fine if you know that you won't have to adjust the hatch. Having the hatch associative and leaving the polyline there allows for easy adjustment of the hatch by editting the polyline. The hatch will follow the polyline boundary as you adjust it.

I avoid using the "Defpoints" layer. Use a layer set up for the polyline hatch boundaries and set it to not plot.

It is fine if you know that you won't have to adjust the hatch. Having the hatch associative and leaving the polyline there allows for easy adjustment of the hatch by editting the polyline. The hatch will follow the polyline boundary as you adjust it.

I avoid using the "Defpoints" layer. Use a layer set up for the polyline hatch boundaries and set it to not plot.

you are right.... and i have a problem with my hatching now, i will post a new thread about this ......

thanks