Problem opening files

Kelly

I cannot get some of my files to open. When the files would open I purged and audited. I needed to save the entire file as another name and now... I cannot get either of the files(with new name or old name) to open.

Note: I have used xrefs in these files and the file paths are renamed accordingly (old and new).

I have deleted any backup files that may be corrupted, any suggestions as to how I can correct this would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kelly

• hotrodz0321

• Attila The Gel

• dtkell

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What does AutoCAD say when you try to open them? Have you tried opening them through Recover (File - Drawing Utilities - recover)? Have you saved them with another version of AutoCAD?

Thanks for the reply,

I am not getting an error message at all. When I try to open it freezes my computer and brings up a white screen in CAD, then CAD goes to a " AutoCAD is not responding" mode.

In a recovery it also locks up my computer after the recovery has run and i get a "runtime error Program:C... R6025-pure virtual function call"

The image will show once I have opened the file even when in "Not respond" however the model and paper space tabs do not show up, it opens to 99% then freezes.

If u are not having any luck getting the original file open, you can open a new drawing and try inserting the drawing that u wish to open as a block. If the drawing is not corrupt all the data that is in the model space should insert into your new drawing.

Have you also audited all files xreffed into the files in question?

Have you done a file recover from inside Acad on the files in question and stopped the regeneration of the image before completed by hitting the esc key?

Sometimes this enables you to save the drawing after the recover.

I have tried to recover/audit all xref files. There is one xref file that is giving me the same problems as the file I cannot open. So my GUESS is the corruption is actually in that xref and not the 5 files I cannot open.

I was able to insert the drawing as a block like previously suggested, it work, however, I would really like to be able to open my original file so as to not have to redo all of the other work on the drawing, ie setting up sheet, gen notes etc...

I will upload the file to the forum and maybe that will help.

Thanks everyone who has replied thus far!

I look forward to as many replies as possible til i can get this resolved!

I have tried to recover/audit all xref files. There is one xref file that is giving me the same problems as the file I cannot open. So my GUESS is the corruption is actually in that xref and not the 5 files I cannot open.

I was able to insert the drawing as a block like previously suggested, it work, however, I would really like to be able to open my original file so as to not have to redo all of the other work on the drawing, ie setting up sheet, gen notes etc...

I will upload the file to the forum and maybe that will help.

Thanks everyone who has replied thus far!

I look forward to as many replies as possible til i can get this resolved!

did you try a partial open?

I did try the partial open, which worked if I did not load xrefs. I opened reloaded all xrefs in drawing and resaved. However, when I try to reopen the file after a partial open, it does the same thing... freezes CAD...after doing a partial open and rereferencing the xrefs, what would u suggest I do to ensure it opens the next time?

I tried to send u a link to the drawings, however since I am a forum newbie the defaul is to not let me post a link until i have at least 9 posts on the forum.

I can email you the link if you would like, unless there is a way to upload directly to this site, I have not had time to look, so if there is please reply with the file path on how to do it?

Thanks,

Kelly

I did try the partial open, which worked if I did not load xrefs. I opened reloaded all xrefs in drawing and resaved. However, when I try to reopen the file after a partial open, it does the same thing... freezes CAD...after doing a partial open and rereferencing the xrefs, what would u suggest I do to ensure it opens the next time?

do another partial open..lol...just kidding....ummm....it actually sounds like the problem is with one of your xrefs....i guess you've tried to purge/audit those xrefs?

I think it's your memory is very low , it happens to me all the time with xref more than 2 MB of files in one dwg. Did you super purge and audit it?

I have tried to do a partial open on the affected XREF and I can't even get it to open in partial mode.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I have purged and audited the files I can open, and I purged and audited the xrefs. However, the affected xref needs to be purged and audited as I cannot open it. Is there a way to purge the files without having to open them first?

Is it possible that there is a loop in these xrefs? so it keept on laoding and finaly gets stuck? just a tought!

This is a posibility since I am having porblems opening one of the xrefs that is referenced in all of the drawings that will not open. However, I cannot open the xref to check or detach the loops... so I am in a quandry as to how to fix the xref to possibly fix the drawing...

so if you can isolate the xrefs by temporarely changing the folder name to where the xrefs are maybe you can open it? or change the xrefs name in your folder that you think may be the problem. if autocad cant find it he cant open it and wil skip it!