Tough Question - TIFF Bitonal Raster Image

johnshar123xx

AutoCAD2008

In doing some more research on my "reference question" below, I found that the scanner we have at work creates a tiff image and apparently there are different types of tiffs. Our scanner creates a tiff with a "bitonal" color setting. Does anyone know how to convert a tiff with a "RGB" color setting to a tiff with a "bitonal" color setting. I have done some searches but have come up with very little information about the subject. I would prefer to be able to do this with autocad software if it can be done, but any method/help would be greatly appreciated.

I thank everyone for taking the time to read my questions, and putting the effort to possibly answering them.

REFERENCE QUESTION FROM OTHER THREAD

At work we have a large format sheet fed OCE scanner to scan drawings. When you use this scanner to scan a drawing to a .tif format and you insert this .tif into an autocad drawing, it produces almost a negative image (where the background is black and the linework comes out whatever color the layer is set

to, for example red layer color = red linework) This is the desired effect that I am looking for which is good. My problem is that When you insert a regular .tif image into autocad, the image will appear exactly how the .tif file looks.For example, if the background is white in the .tif the background will be white when inserted into autocad drawing. My questions is, does anyone know if there

is a setting in autocad that can produce a raster image with a black background and linework based on the color of the layer, or is this a setting specifically created by our scanner?

I use to have similar issues in my last office. (I'm not sure which scanner we had though)

But we were able to view the scanned tif on a computer beside the scanner, and using this software we were able to open other tif images that were not bitonal and save it as bitonal with this program. Beats me what it was called but maybe worth a try for you

Maybe try converting it with a graphics program like Photoshop or the GIMP. Another file converter that may work is Irfanview, but I am unsure if it will work.

The last time I scanned an image for insertion, I saved it as a TIFF image, and the background was transparent. So the linework took the colour of the layer it was inserted to. I don't know what I did to make the background transparent, but this seems a desirable thing to happen. :D

• 3 years later...

For anyone still stumbling on to this (as I did):

I used irfanview to save a .jpg to tif format and in the options box select huffman rle, the image now imports to autocad with the line colour matching the current layer colour or any that is susequently selected